This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4551 / 51°27'18"N
Longitude: -2.5939 / 2°35'38"W
OS Eastings: 358828
OS Northings: 173073
OS Grid: ST588730
Mapcode National: GBR C8K.96
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0P1C
Plus Code: 9C3VFC44+3C
Entry Name: Albion Chambers albion Chambers and Attached Railings and Gate
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380559
Location: Central, Bristol, BS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol, Christ Church with Saint Ewen, All Saints and Saint George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5873SE SMALL STREET, Centre
901-1/11/630 (North East side)
08/01/59 Nos.22 AND 23
Albion Chambers and attached
railings and gate
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Nos.22 AND 23
and Albion Chambers)
Includes: Albion Chambers BROAD STREET Centre.
Offices, now restaurants and offices. 1843. Brick with
limestone dressings and lateral stacks, stuccoed courtyard
blocks with brick ridge stacks and hipped pantile roofs.
4 double-depth blocks arranged symmetrically to the sides of a
T-shaped courtyard. Greek Revival-style details.
4 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical Small Street
elevation has ground-floor shop fronts and a semicircular arch
to a through passage, cornice and ashlar parapet. The archway
has a moulded archivolt with outer moulding of palmettes, a
shell-like fanlight panel containing an acroterion above the
lintel, and panelled jambs, repeated at the ends of the shop
fronts either side, with plate-glass windows. The windows
above have architraves, eared and battered with cornices and
ashlar aprons on the first floor with a central eared square
window, battered on the second floor, to plate-glass sashes.
The left return is random limestone ashlar in the manner of
the neighbouring former Assizes (not included), and was
rebuilt 1865-70 to enclose the space in front of it.
The courtyard has matching blocks facing across the sides of
the courtyard, and a third across the end, with a through
passage to Broad Street. Each of 3 storeys; 5-window ranges
with a coped parapet, the side pair with an eared, battered
architrave and 6-panel doors, that to the E end with an eared,
segmental-arched architrave and large key to the passage,
small end windows with raised surrounds, with curved,
wrought-iron brackets to a lamp over the doorway, and a clock
over the first-floor window set in an ornate square panel;
8/8-pane sashes with fine bars, some replaced with horned and
INTERIOR: the Small Street block has an entrance in the
right-hand side of the passage; details include a stone
cantilevered oval open-well winder stair, with wrought-iron
railings, and floors of stone laid on iron I-section beams;
second-floor fire surround with panelled jambs and mantle to
roundels; brick groin vaults in basement. The 2 side blocks
have similar open dogleg stairs, and the E block has an
open-well stair above the W entrance; panelled reveals to
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron spear-headed railings
and gate with palmette finials to basement steps in the N end
of the courtyard, and to the NE entrance from Broad Street.
An advanced design of fire-proof offices, formally arranged
round a courtyard.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 252).
Listing NGR: ST5882873073
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings