History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

University of Bristol, Department of Botany and Attached Walls and Lamps

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4571 / 51°27'25"N

Longitude: -2.6048 / 2°36'17"W

OS Eastings: 358076

OS Northings: 173300

OS Grid: ST580733

Mapcode National: GBR C5J.WH

Mapcode Global: VH88M.SMTT

Entry Name: University of Bristol, Department of Botany and Attached Walls and Lamps

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380754

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5873SW UNIVERSITY ROAD
901-1/10/313 (East side)
04/03/77 University of Bristol, Department of
Botany and attached walls and lamps
(Formerly Listed as:
UNIVERSITY ROAD
Departments of Botany and Zoology,
University of Bristol)

GV II

University department. 1880. By CF Hansom, continued 1889 by E
Hansom and FB Bond. Red Pennant rubble with limestone
dressings, lateral and ridge stacks, and Welsh slate roofs
with bands of round-ended slates. Double-depth plan to 3 sides
of a courtyard. Collegiate Tudor Revival style. Plain L-shaped
1880 block to the rear of the courtyard, 3 storeys; 7-window
range. Ogee-headed cross windows to 2 wide, symmetrical,
full-height bays, strings and crenellated parapet, and 2
Tudor-arched doorways. Later right-hand wing 2 storeys and
basement; 6-window range, with mullion and transom windows,
cornice with carved heads and crenellated parapet. Left-hand
gable faces courtyard with windows each side of an exterior
stack; the left-hand gable to the road is 3 storeys with
clasping buttresses, 3 ground-floor windows with a central
Tudor-arched door, beneath fan vaulting supporting a canted
oriel with narrow flanking windows and crenellated parapet;
semicircular-arched second-floor window. To the right is a
1904 projecting octagonal tower with corner gargoyles and a
panelled ashlar parapet. Similar street gable to right-hand
wing has 3 storeys and a left-hand stair turret set back with
an ashlar spirelet and finial. INTERIOR: largely plain
laboratory and teaching rooms. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached
front entrance walls with low piers and wrought-iron lamps.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 323).


Listing NGR: ST5807673300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.