History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1342 / 54°8'3"N

Longitude: -0.7986 / 0°47'54"W

OS Eastings: 478596

OS Northings: 471599

OS Grid: SE785715

Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.XR

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.PBXZ

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 10 June 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389599

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 YORKERSGATE
801-1/8/173 (South side)
10/06/74 No.27
National Westminster Bank

GV II

Bank. 1866, with C20 alteration. By Rowling Gould for Robert
Bower, proprietor of the East Riding Bank. Italianate style.
Front of sandstone ashlar, rear of pink and cream mottled
brick, with slate roof. 2-storey 7-window front, on plinth. 3
entrances, one in centre, and one at each end. Doorcases
composed of pilasters on pedestals, and plain entablatures
with console cornice hoods. Central doorcase Tuscan; the outer
ones have moulded imposts beneath coved triglyph blocks. Doors
are of 6 raised-and-fielded panels, with segment-headed
overlights, in keyed architraves. All windows are round-headed
single-pane sashes with aprons, those on ground floor in
Gibbsian surrounds, those on first floor in raised
architraves, all with grooved console keyblocks. Moulded
first-floor band, and moulded sillband on each floor, which on
first floor forms coping to attached balustrade with urn
finials beneath centre window. Moulded impost band on both
floors, on ground floor continuing across doorheads to form
transoms to overlights. Moulded eaves band and heavy cornice
on console brackets, beneath sunk panelled parapet with urn
finials on square piers. Besides providing premises for the
East Riding Bank, the building included living accommodation
for the first cashier, Thomas Reed, and offices rented by a
firm of solicitors, Messrs Walker and Langborne.
(Malton Messenger: East Riding Bank: 1866-; The Westminster
Bank in Leeds: 1960-).


Listing NGR: SE7859671599

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.