History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forecourt walls, piers, gates and railings to the front York House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1342 / 54°8'2"N

Longitude: -0.7998 / 0°47'59"W

OS Eastings: 478515

OS Northings: 471590

OS Grid: SE785715

Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.MS

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.PCB0

Entry Name: Forecourt walls, piers, gates and railings to the front York House

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Last Amended: 5 September 2013

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389610

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Summary


Forecourt boundary incorporating ornamental C17 ironwork for the Grade II* listed York House.

Description

Forecourt boundary and gateway, later C17 with C20 replacement railings.

MATERIALS
Wall and gate piers of ashlar; wrought iron gate, railings and overthrow.

DESCRIPTION
The boundary wall is about 0.5m high with cambered coping, terminated at each corner by a square pier, each with a moulded cornice and pyramidal cap. The gate piers are taller, being square on plan with rebated angles and banded rustication, finished with moulded cornices, stepped caps and ball and pedestal finials, the balls being enclosed by a band of vermiculated rustication. The pedestrian gate is central and highly ornamented featuring rinceaux, scrolls and reversed wheatear drops, topped by alternately twisted and wavy finials. The overthrow above is similarly ornamented including intertwined foliage enclosing a 'WS' monogram and the motto 'VINCE MALUM BONO'. Railings to either side of the gateway are similar, but include a square section open-work column with twisted finials to the centre of each side. Railings to the side returns joining to the house are of a much simpler (probably modern) design.

History

Sir William Strickland married Elizabeth Palmes, the Eure family heiress, in 1684 and, via the marriage, gained ownership of York House (NHLE 1290865). The forecourt, with its boundary, was part of the remodelling of the house and its gardens following the marriage, the ironwork overthrow across the gateway combining William Strickland's monogram with 'Vince Malum Bono' (Defeat evil with good), the Eure family motto. The railings date to circa 1970, reproducing the originals.

Reasons for Listing

The later C17 forecourt boundary and gateway is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Ironwork: the forecourt boundary represents a rare survival of C17 design utilising elaborate ironwork;
* Garden design: forms the most historically and architecturally significant component of the garden design laid out for the Stricklands from 1684 onwards;
* Group value: directly with the Grade II* listed York House, as well as the other associated garden structures to the rear.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.