This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1339 / 54°8'2"N
Longitude: -0.8005 / 0°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 478471
OS Northings: 471564
OS Grid: SE784715
Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.HV
Mapcode Global: WHFBG.PC06
Plus Code: 9C6X45MX+HQ
Entry Name: Talbot Hotel
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389618
Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Malton
Built-Up Area: Malton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
801-1/8/192 (South side)
29/09/51 Talbot Hotel
Also known as: The Cloisters YORKERSGATE.
Hotel, part known formerly as The Cloisters. Early C18, with
early C19 alterations; main block remodelled c1840. Main block
fronted in ashlar, with ashlar quoins and doorcase; lower
courses of left return rendered and incised to resemble
ashlar, upper courses painted stone; rear raised in pink and
cream mottled brick in English garden-wall bond. Hipped slate
roof, with wrought-iron corner scrolls. Earlier parts of
squared sandstone, with stone slate roofs. Brick stacks.
4 blocks arranged around a small yard. Entrance front of main
block: 3 storeys 6 windows. Right of centre double doors, each
of 3 panels, the bottom ones grooved, with radial fanlight, in
plain doorcase. Former door at right end now blocked by
12-pane sash window, with wedge lintel. All remaining windows
are 12-pane sashes, with stone sills and flat arches of
voussoirs. Moulded eaves cornice. Rear of main block: 2 late
C17 or early C18 chamfered round-arched cellar windows are
visible beneath lean-to service rooms.
Yorkersgate front: 3-storey 5-window return of front range to
right, with 2-storey 2-window early C18 wing to left. 3-storey
part has central doorcase of attached square section piers
beneath plain cornice on cavetto moulded corbels; double
doors, each of 3 grooved panels, in rusticated flat-arched
opening of voussoirs with keyblock. Ground-floor windows are
single-pane sashes over sillband.
On first floor, centre window is square bay with 16-pane
tripartite sash window, beneath projecting moulded cornice.
Second-floor centre window is flat 16-pane tripartite sash.
All other windows are 12-pane sashes, with plain lintels. Door
cornice continues as raised first floor band. Moulded eaves
cornice. Wrought-iron lamp bracket over door.
C18 part has pilaster strips at each end. Round-arched doorway
contains round-headed double doors, each of 3 sunk panels. To
right is C20 replacement window beneath keyed wedge lintel
blocking former carriage arch. On first floor, two 12-pane
sashes with stone sills and keyed flat arches. Rear of C18
wing: blocked former carriage arch visible.
Garden front: 3-storey 5-bay return of front range, with
full-height canted bay window to left, and 1-window bay to
right; further right, 2-storey 3-bay front to the former
'Cloisters'. In 3-storey part, all windows are 12-pane sashes,
except for 4-pane sash on ground floor to right of bay, and
all have stone sills and wedge lintels. Moulded eaves cornice.
'The Cloisters' has central pilaster and cornice doorcase with
recessed door of 4 raised-and-fielded panels and cross-glazed
over-light. Tripartite sash to left of door, and 12-pane
sashes elsewhere, all beneath flat arches of voussoirs.
INTERIOR: Main block: fine cantilevered open-string staircase
rises full height of building around oval well, beneath domed
lantern; hollow-sided stick balusters and serpentine moulded
handrail, wreathed at foot around column newel. Stairhall has
moulded dado rail, sections above raised bands of carved
rinceaux; 2 doorcases with pulvinated friezes and moulded
cornice hoods lead to main reception room.
Doorcases in main reception room are similar but pedimented; 4
retain original doors of 8 raised-and-fielded panels. Both
parts of room are panelled above and below moulded dado rail:
panels in smaller end are raised and fielded, those in larger
end sunk. Window recesses similarly panelled, with shutters
and window seats to smaller end. Both parts have moulded
cornices, that in larger end dentilled. 2 marble chimneypieces
survive, with square moulded surrounds, pulvinated friezes and
moulded cornice shelves, one on bulbous consoles, and panelled
overmantles, that at larger end eared and lobed.
'The Cloisters': room to left of entrance retains fine early
C18 cornice and mid C19 fire place. At rear of room to right,
round-arched doorcase with panelled pilasters and imposts
leads to small stairhall; dogleg open-string staircase, with
turned balusters and serpentine handrail, wreathed at foot.
Round-arched, deeply splayed staircase window.
Rear range: room in centre retains complete cast-iron range
beneath mantleshelf on heavy brackets. A series of groined
cellars run beneath earlier parts of building.
The Talbot Hotel, originally known as The New Talbot, was
founded c1740, initially in association with Malton Races
which flourished from 1713 to 1862. In C19, it was used as a
coaching inn by 'The Mail', operating between York and
Listing NGR: SE7847171564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings