History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden wall extending southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1338 / 54°8'1"N

Longitude: -0.8 / 0°48'0"W

OS Eastings: 478502

OS Northings: 471550

OS Grid: SE785715

Mapcode National: GBR QNVM.LW

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.PC79

Entry Name: Garden wall extending southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel

Listing Date: 5 April 1993

Last Amended: 5 September 2013

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389621

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Summary


Early C19 garden wall reusing earlier, possibly C17 bricks, mirroring the design of an adjacent C17 wall.

Description

Garden wall, early C19.

MATERIALS
Reused C17 orange-red brick that is irregularly bonded. Flat stone coping.

DESCRIPTION
The wall is generally 2-3m high and runs south from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel (that part formally forming the house The Cloisters) for about 25m. It has pilaster buttresses on its west side and the wall top is ramped as it climbs over the top terrace to the rear of York House (q.v.).

History

The garden wall is thought to have been built after Burton's 1809 estate map but before Nicholson's 1823 engraving to form the eastern garden wall of the newly constructed villa called The Cloisters. This villa is thought to have been built for the manager of the Talbot Hotel (of which it is now a part - see NHLE 1202751). The wall subdivided the gardens of York House (see NHLE 1290865) first laid out for Sir William Strickland in the late C17 and was designed to sympathetically match York House's eastern garden wall (see NHLE 1220709). The wall appears to be on approximately the same line as an earlier boundary shown on the 1730 Dickinson map, possibly the boundary to 43 Yorkersgate when this was a separate property in the C17.

Reasons for Listing

The early C19 garden wall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Garden design: preserving the approximate line of a boundary forming part of the C17 garden design for York House, as well as demonstrating an early C19 modification of that garden, reusing earlier bricks;
* Group Value: particularly with the Grade II* listed York House with which the wall contributes in terms of setting, mirroring the design of its eastern boundary wall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.