This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3683 / 52°22'5"N
Longitude: -2.7187 / 2°43'7"W
OS Eastings: 351160
OS Northings: 274712
OS Grid: SO511747
Mapcode National: GBR BK.RZ8J
Mapcode Global: VH843.TQLV
Plus Code: 9C4V979J+8G
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 15 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389846
Location: Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ludlow
Built-Up Area: Ludlow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ludlow St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27 June 2017.
Church of St Laurence and attached railings
(Formerly listed as Church of St Lawrence and attached railings)
Parish Church. Mainly C15, with C13 and C14 fragments. Restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, and Sir A Blomfield. Ashlar sandstone; coursed rubble; lead roof.
Nave and aisles, transept, chancel, chancel chapels and north vestry. C13 south doorway; C14 hexagonal south porch, north aisle and north and south transepts; C15 features include the nave and arcade, with clerestory and rich timber roof; chancel, transepts and crossing; crossing tower.
INTERIOR: c1447 stalls, altered C19, with fine misericords; rood screen; stained glass, much restored; monuments to Sir Robert Townshend 1581 and wife, Edmund Walter 1592 and wife, Edward Woties 1635, Ambrosia Sydney 1580, Theophilus Salway 1760, Sir John Brydgeman 1637 and wife, Dame Mary Eure 1612 and husband 1616.
The largest parish church in Shropshire, 203ft long with tower 135ft tall.
Listing NGR: SO5116074705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings