This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8867 / 50°53'12"N
Longitude: -2.7963 / 2°47'46"W
OS Eastings: 344082
OS Northings: 109995
OS Grid: ST440099
Mapcode National: GBR MG.SFC9
Mapcode Global: FRA 561R.LF7
Entry Name: Baptist Church and Attached Walls, Railings, Gates and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 6 September 1974
Last Amended: 6 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390424
Location: Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Crewkerne
Built-Up Area: Crewkerne
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Crewkerne
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4409 NORTH STREET
876-1/7/146 Baptist Church and attached walls,
06/09/74 railings, gates and gate piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Baptist Church. Manse attached to
south of Baptist Church Forecourt
Baptist Chapel, 1820, enlarged 1830, present facade is dated
1880. MATERIALS: coursed and squared limestone with Ham Hill
stone quoins, pilasters, doorcases, pediments and plinth;
hipped slate roof.
PLAN: square plan with a 2-storey schoolroom behind and 2 late
C19 rear wings which have segmental arches to cream brick
architraves; a connecting toilet range completes a small
EXTERIOR: single-storey; symmetrical 5-window range. 3 tall
round-arched windows with margin panes and articulated by
shallow pilasters, fill a stepped-forward pedimented gable
with a moulded cornice and antefixae; the tympanum has raised
letters -1880- NORTH STREET CHAPEL.
The double 2-panel doors to the outer bays are set in similar
but smaller projecting pedimented porches, the pilasters of
which are tapered; windows above are similar but much shorter
than those to the centre. To the rear is a lower schoolroom
range; to the left is the manse (qv).
INTERIOR: has late C19 pews and is surrounded by
tongued-and-grooved matchboarding below the dado rail. The
front of the gallery, curved at the corners and bracketed out
over cast-iron columns, is fretted and panelled. The pulpit
against the rear wall has cast-iron ornamental balusters to
the front and to the flanking stairs which have fretted ends,
chamfered newels with ball finials and panelling below. The
organ in the rear left corner of the ground floor, has painted
ornament on the pipes. Simple coved ceiling to schoolroom.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the schoolroom, to the rear
right, is a rubblestone right-flank wall with gate piers to
the centre. Fronting the chapel and manse (qv) are spearhead
railings on an off-set Ham Hill stone plinth, with a matching
gate with long/short railings and across to the base.
Supporting the gate, and to the sides, are stone piers,
panelled to the sides of the domed caps, and with panelled
shafts. The right-hand pier fronts a long rubblestone wall
extending back to the school room, with gate piers to the the
HISTORY: Pulman states that the chapel was built in 1820 and
enlarged in 1830 with " 3 galleries, in one of which is an
organ, and will seat about four hundred and fifty adults. A
school room behind, built only a few years since, is one of
the best rooms in the town. To this is attached a wing, used
on Sundays as an infant schoolroom."
(Pulman GPR: The Book of The Axe: Kingsmead Reprints Bath:
Listing NGR: ST4408209995
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings