This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2089 / 51°12'32"N
Longitude: -4.1209 / 4°7'15"W
OS Eastings: 251945
OS Northings: 147658
OS Grid: SS519476
Mapcode National: GBR KN.41VX
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.JW94
Entry Name: 146, High Street
Listing Date: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390221
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 HIGH STREET
853-1/6/82 (South side)
House and shop. Probably built in 1890s.
MATERIALS: rendered front. Solid right-hand side-wall visible
from alley, covered with slate-hanging slated mansard roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with garret. 1-window wide. Good
shopfront; display windows with angle-shafts supporting
decorated brackets. Recessed shop door in centre;
shell-carved, open pediment above. To right of shopfront a
panel of blue and white tiles inscribed W H ANDREW PURVEYOR &
FAMILY BUTCHER ESTD. 1855. Deep wood canopy on shaped brackets
above whole ground storey.
Second and third storeys have wooden, canted bay window in
centre, finished in each storey with a bracketed cornice
having quatrefoils between the brackets. Panelled base to
second-storey window; slated pent roof to window in third
storey. Sash windows with panels of coloured glass above them;
upper sashes have glazing bars forming margin-panes. Dentilled
top cornice broken by large, 2-light dormer window with flat
top; this has sashes with one upright glazing bar per sash. To
right, set back and spanning the alley, is a rendered
structure containing a 12-light sash window.
INTERIOR not inspected.
The building forms a group with Nos 145 (The Victoria) &
No.147 (qv). WH Andrew, butcher, appears at this address (then
130 High Street) in Kelly's Directory of Devonshire between
1883 & 1906, but not in 1910.
(Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1883-1906).
Listing NGR: SS5194547658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings