This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2061 / 51°12'21"N
Longitude: -4.1264 / 4°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 251550
OS Northings: 147358
OS Grid: SS515473
Mapcode National: GBR KN.46GR
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.FYC9
Entry Name: Northcote Buildings
Listing Date: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390174
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 CHURCH STREET
853-1/6/32 (North side)
Terrace of 4 houses and shops. Dated 1880; architect WM
Robbins of Ilfracombe. High Victorian style.
MATERIALS: red brick with dressings of yellow, black and white
brick; some details in stone and terracotta. The stone lintels
at No.8 and the second storey brick arches and bands at No.10
have been painted. Slated roofs, asbestos at No.7, tarred at
Nos 8-10; crested ridge tiles (some missing at No.9). Red
brick chimneys on left side walls, that at No 8 rebuilt. All
have sets of good chimney pots, louvred at No.7, spiked at Nos
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with garrets. Uniform 3-window fronts in
Gothic style. Ground storeys have much altered shopfronts,
except for Nos 7 & 8. That at No.7 is divided into 3 bays by
thick brick piers (now painted) with chamfered corners.
The wide middle bay contains a 2-pane display window, the
thick, moulded glazing bars forming 4-centred arches at the
top; the spandrels are filled with small square panes. Below
it is a decorated terracotta panel (now painted) incorporating
the date 1880.
Left-hand-bay contains glazed double doors, each with a solid
panel at the bottom. Right-hand-bay has 6-panelled house door,
the panels shaped and the bottom 2 with diagonal planking.
Entablature with moulded cornice across whole front. No.8
retains the original red brick piers with panels of white
brick; also a display window (without small panes in the
spandrels) and shop door like those at No.7.
Upper storeys have Venetian window in centre, the middle light
pointed, the outer ones with flat stone lintels shaped on the
underside. The whole window is surmounted by a great, pointed
relieving arch of black or red brick (it is not clear if the
black is simply paint, or whether, if so, it is original).
Flanking the window are 2 doorways with segmental arches;
those at Nos 7-9 retain their original decorated iron guard
rails. Above each doorway is a small window with a segmental
arch. The wall face is decorated with bands of yellow and
white brick and has terracotta and shaped white brick panels.
Bracketed eaves cornice, broken in the middle by a triangular
dormer gable with carved bargeboards and (except at No.10)
Nos 7 & 10 have plain sash windows in the second storey and
3-light mullioned and transomed wood windows in the dormer
gable; small windows have plain wooden casements. Both houses
have original glazed doors in second storey, each with a solid
At Nos 8 & 9 all but the 2 small windows have been altered in
late C20; original door (with 2 panels at the bottom) survives
to right of second storey at No.8. No.10 carries a stone
plaque to right of Venetian window, inscribed NORTHCOTE
INTERIORS not inspected.
HISTORY: terrace said to have been named after Sir Stafford
Northcote (1818-87), Conservative M.P. for North Devon and
late Earl of Iddesleigh. On 5th April 1880 he was re-elected
unopposed for the second time. The original terrace included
Nos 6 & 11, now much altered and not included.
(Ilfracombe Chronicle 18.6.1937: Hussell AT: 2; Hoskins WG:
Devon 1954: D.N.B.: 414).
Listing NGR: SS5155047358
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings