This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.207 / 51°12'25"N
Longitude: -4.1274 / 4°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 251483
OS Northings: 147458
OS Grid: SS514474
Mapcode National: GBR KN.466S
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.DXVM
Entry Name: Beaconsfield Terrace
Listing Date: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390278
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 WILDER ROAD
853-1/6/137 (West side)
Terrace of working-class houses. Dated 1880; architect
possibly WM Robbins of Ilfracombe.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with dressings of cream coloured
brick. Slated roofs with crested red ridge tiles, hipped at
right-hand end. Slates have either been tarred or replaced in
asbestos, except at No.25; plain ridge tiles have been
substituted for the original crested ones at Nos 31, 35-41 and
45. The dormer gables at Nos 19, 21, 25-29 and 35 have pierced
red ridge tiles. Red brick chimneys with bands of cream
coloured brick on the party walls; those at Nos 23 & 41 have
been rendered, and those at Nos 29-33 and No.37 rebuilt.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Each house is 2 windows-wide with door to
left of ground storey; the window to right of ground storey is
of 2 lights with central brick pier. No.45 (the corner house)
differs in having its door on the splayed angle and a 3-light
window to Wilder Road. Doorways and windows have segmental
brick arches, both these and the jambs being moulded, except
for the doorways of Nos 39 & 45, which are plain; the lintel
of the latter appears to have been rebuilt in concrete.
Bracketed eaves, the brackets of moulded yellow brick. The
wide right-hand window in the upper storey of each house rises
above eaves level and is finished with a large gable filled
with decorative brickwork (some of it glazed) and framed by
lightly carved bargeboards.
In the centre of the gable at No.27 is a stone plaque
inscribed BEACONSFIELD TERRACE. 1880. The doors are
4-panelled; the lower panels flush; Nos 21 & 43 have good
knockers and letterboxes, the former in brass, the latter in
iron. 2-paned fanlights.
At No.37 the upper panels of the doors have been glazed, and
at No.45 the door has 2 moulded panels below and a single
glazed panel above.
The original doors have been wholly replaced at Nos 19, 29,
31, 33 and 39; at No.29 the replacement is a 6-panelled door
of good quality.
Nos 19, 31, 33, 39 and 45 now have plain fanlights.
Windows have 2-paned sashes with a single horizontal glazing
bar, except for the right-hand upper storey windows, which
have 2-light mullioned and transomed wood casements, the lower
lights with 2 panes matching those in the sashes. Blind upper
storey window in the splayed angle at No.45. Glazing bars have
been removed from the windows at No.23, from the upper storey
windows at No.29 and from the left-hand upper storey window at
No.41. At No.35 all the windows have C20 metal frames and at
No.37 a plain shop window has been inserted in the ground
storey. At No.19 the door and window surrounds have been
painted, at No.35 the door surround only, and at No.37 the
door and window surrounds in the ground storey.
Return front of No.45, visible from the lane leading into
Church Road, has a doorway and 2 windows similar to those in
the main front, although the door has been replaced. To the
left is a 6-paned C19 shop window with frieze and moulded
cornice. To the right is a plain dormer gable with 2-light
wood casement, each light of 3 panes.
The rear elevations, visible from an alley, are mostly
rendered. Each house has a short projecting rear wing.
INTERIORS not inspected.
These may have been the 'cottages' for which Mr Fredrick Durke
submitted plans to Ilfracombe Local Board of Health in 1880;
architect WM Robbins.
At the time of the census in April 1881 only some of the
houses had occupants; these included a plumber, a painter, a
mason, a general labourer, a railway clerk and a railway
(Ilfracombe Local Board of Health Planning Register on
microfilm: Book 1: 2 & 4).
Listing NGR: SS5148347458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings