History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

George Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5468 / 50°32'48"N

Longitude: -2.4422 / 2°26'31"W

OS Eastings: 368766

OS Northings: 71982

OS Grid: SY687719

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.3LKV

Mapcode Global: FRA 57SM.6DH

Entry Name: George Inn

Listing Date: 16 January 1951

Last Amended: 17 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382016

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Portland

Built-Up Area: Weston

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Portland

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY6871 REFORNE, Easton
969-1/4/55 (South side)
16/01/51 No.133
George Inn
(Formerly Listed as:
REFORNE
Nos.129,131 & 133
(The George Inn))

II

Inn, formerly three houses. Dated 1765 above main door, said
to have been built for William Butts, the parish clerk;
altered in C19. Large squared stone or rubble, slate roofs. A
series of linked units: from left, a one-storey store with
corrugated asbestos roof over rubble walls containing pair of
plank garage doors; slightly stepped up a further store in
large squared stone block with slate roof, but single course
of stone slate at eaves, coped verge to left. A plank door,
left, and 2-light casement, right. Then a two-storey lofty
section containing the former Court Leet meeting room in
coursed rubble with flush quoins and lintols, slate roof; two
large 12-pane sashes above a single 12-pane, and to the right
a pair of C20 glazed doors under a rectilinear transom light.
The back of this part has a small and a larger 12-pane sash
above a 4-panel door. Brick stack to left gable. The main
building in large dressed squared stone block with slate roof;
low two storeys with attic, projecting near-central porch and
deep back wing; 3 windows width, to the left a small 2-light
casement with glazing bars, then two large 12-pane mid C19
sashes above a small 2-light casement and a 3-light chamfered
stone-mullioned small-pane casement and a 20-pane wide sash in
a flush plat band. To the left a plank door, and near centre a
gabled stone porch with side lights covering a ledged and
framed C18 door on early strap hinges: above this a cambered
lintel and a stone inscribed "B W*G" over "1765" in a
patterned border. Left of centre a stone ridge stack with
blocking course above capping, and to right a late C19 brick
stack. Back has a deep gabled wing which includes a small
single stair light, and a brick stack. The mullioned window
led the RCHM to suggest that the building has C17 origins.
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 256).


Listing NGR: SY6876671982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.