This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4544 / 50°27'15"N
Longitude: -4.465 / 4°27'53"W
OS Eastings: 225112
OS Northings: 64517
OS Grid: SX251645
Mapcode National: GBR NF.NQYF
Mapcode Global: FRA 17JV.JBM
Plus Code: 9C2QFG3P+P2
Entry Name: County Branch Library
Listing Date: 15 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203146
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382117
Location: Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Liskeard
Built-Up Area: Liskeard
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Liskeard
Church of England Diocese: Truro
County Branch Library
A free library built in 1896 by Symons and Sons, of Blackwater for John Passmore Edwards. The building was dedicated to Charles Buller who represented Liskeard in parliament between 1832 and 1848.
Flemish Renaissance style, 2 storeyed building with a symmetrical 7-bay front and Delabole slate roof with moulded eaves. Three coped gables with ball finials to the front with alternate plain and crested clay ridge tiles, metal roof ventilators and brick gable end stacks. An irregular L-shaped plan with 2 linked wings at right-angles behind the left-hand side.
Central gabled bay broken forward and alternate bays broken forward to 1st floor and surmounted by ventilated gables. Central bay has round-headed
doorway with rusticated voussoirs flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters and with acanthus and scrolled apron to inscribed panel framed above by stepped moulded string which runs the full width of the front; over this is a 5-light mullioned oriel window with double transoms and flat heads over 2 centres except for central ogee-headed light; moulded embattled false parapet over with 2 ball finials and carved enrichments to a torus moulding. Buller Memorial dated 1886 to gable over. Other bays have similarly-detailed windows with principal windows as oriels with hoodmoulds with carved stops;
3-light windows to principal bays flanking single lights; double transoms to oriels, otherwise single transoms, all with plate glass. A prominent item in the streetscape, close to Stuart House (qv).
INTERIOR altered C20.
Sources: West Briton 5th November 1896.
Listing NGR: SX2511264517
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings