This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2309 / 52°13'51"N
Longitude: -1.0847 / 1°5'4"W
OS Eastings: 462608
OS Northings: 259586
OS Grid: SP626595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.2L4
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.46X3
Plus Code: 9C4W6WJ8+94
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Storehouse Number 7
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360827
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/181 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM
Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an odd-numbered group to the north of the canal. Converted into military prison in 1844/5, when wing to west end added, and with later additions. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to south elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Rear refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Single-storey addition to west of the mid/late 1840s, originally with two parallel ranges gabled north-south; south elevation has parapet concealing gables and gauged brick arches over horned sash windows, with some late C19 and early C20 extension. Single-storey range to east added 1899-1911 as a Painters' Shop, presenting a south-facing gable end with round windows over two tall semi-circular arched windows; Welsh slate roof with cowled vents. Interior: reroofed (with steel trusses) and refloored (in ferroconcrete) in 1930s.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings