This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2309 / 52°13'51"N
Longitude: -1.0837 / 1°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 462680
OS Northings: 259589
OS Grid: SP626595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.2TT
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.56G3
Plus Code: 9C4W6WJ8+9G
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Storehouse Number 5
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360826
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/180 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM
Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an odd-numbered group to the north of the canal. Converted into the Governor's Quarters of the military prison in 1844/5, most of the additions for which were demolished by 1899. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof, mid C19 brick stacks (added for prison staff). Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to south elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above, the panelled douible-leaf doors surviving to the right (east) gable end. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, being 2-light wooden casements of late C19 date, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes to first floor. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Mid C19 addition to left (west) gable end, of 2 storeys and single bay with similar sash windows (built to house stairs that accessed rooms for prison personnel), blocked doorway to front and further mid C20 addition to front. Interior: first floor supported by 3 rows of chamfered timber posts with pillow beams. Steel trusses of 1938, when roofs remodelled. Open string staircase with chamfered and scroll-stopped newels, diamond-set balusters and moulded handrail. Semi-circular arched doorways, set in semi-circular arched recesses, provide access to storerooms.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings