This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2305 / 52°13'49"N
Longitude: -1.0835 / 1°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 462694
OS Northings: 259536
OS Grid: SP626595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.2X5
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.56KG
Plus Code: 9C4W6WJ8+5J
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Storehouse Number 6
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360830
Location: Weedon Bec, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/184 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM
Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an even-numbered group to the south side of the canal. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to north elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, being 2-light wooden casements of late C19 date, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes to first floor. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Brick parapet. The south elevation is similar but makes use of the fall of the land to accommodate a basement storey; this is treated in a robust classical manner, with grey sandstone vermiculated rustication and semi-circular arches over original nail-studded plank doors beneath louvred tympanae. The centre bay projects, having iron railings that open out to the central loading area. There is a short section of retaining wall, with steps rising to canal basin area, to either end; section to west rebuilt late C19. Interior: basement has brick tunnel vaults to each bay. 3 rows of stop-chamfered timber posts with pillow beams support first floor. Steel trusses of 1938, when roofs remodelled. Open string staircase with chamfered and scroll-stopped newels, diamond-set balusters and moulded handrail. Semi-circular arched doorways, set in semi-circular arched recesses, provide access to storerooms.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
Other nearby listed buildings