History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tan House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Charnock Richard, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6459 / 53°38'45"N

Longitude: -2.6764 / 2°40'34"W

OS Eastings: 355384

OS Northings: 416812

OS Grid: SD553168

Mapcode National: GBR 9VR8.CS

Mapcode Global: WH866.VMQB

Entry Name: Tan House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203660

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357538

Location: Charnock Richard, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Charnock Richard

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Charnock Richard Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE CHARNOCK RICHARD PRESTON ROAD

5/23 Tan House Farmhouse
17.4.1967 (Formerly listed under Delph Lane)
- II


Farmhouse comprised of 2 interconnected dwellings built at right-angles, the
later dated 1695. Brick and some stone, with stone plinth, some stone quoins,
roofs of stone slates and slates. The earlier element, of 2 bays and
2 storeys with a continuous outshut to rear, contains either parts or the
whole of 2 cruck trusses; the later (1695) which is built as a receding
crosswing on the right, is 3 bays and 2½ storeys, with a 2-storey rear wing
to the 3rd bay. The first part, which faces the road, has a high stone
plinth broken by 2 large C19 casements,a board door at the right end, one
1st floor window to the 2nd bay, a raised front wall and slated roof with
chimney at right end; at the left gable is a large external stone chimney
stack, stepped to eaves level and continued in C19 brick, with a flat floor
window to the left of it; rear has some stone slates, slated outshut with
stone quoins and 2 windows (one a 3 light sliding sash with glazing bars).
The front gable of the later building is flush with the first; this part
has a stone plinth, stone quoins to all corners, roof of stone slates with
a cut down chimney at the rear gable; its front wall has 3-light chamfered
stone mullion windows at ground and at 1st floor 2 lights at attic level, all
with saw-tooth labels; under the attic window is a datestone lettered in
relief F
R . E.
1695
The side wall has 3 windows on each floor all altered casements, with
remains of segmental relieving arch to 3rd window at 1st floor; and entrance
at junction of 1st and 2nd bays. Interior: older part contains 2 cruck
trusses, which may be full or raised crucks; later part has beams chamfered
at ground floor, rounded at 1st floor.


Listing NGR: SD5538416812

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.