History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower House Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Charnock Richard, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6411 / 53°38'27"N

Longitude: -2.6679 / 2°40'4"W

OS Eastings: 355937

OS Northings: 416268

OS Grid: SD559162

Mapcode National: GBR 9VTB.6H

Mapcode Global: WH866.ZRQ1

Entry Name: Lower House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357536

Location: Charnock Richard, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Charnock Richard

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Charnock Richard Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE CHARNOCK RICHARD DELPH LANE

5/21 Lower House Farmhouse
17.4.1967
- II*


Farmhouse, dated 1654, now house. Brick with stone plinth, quoins and
dressings; concrete tile roof with one chimney on the ridge, another
behind ridge at right end. Three-bay baffle-entry plan with short
outshut to rear of 3rd and part of 2nd bay. Two storeys. Two-storey
gabled porch at junction of 1st and 2nd bays has moulded stone entrance
with Tudor arched lintel; a hoodmould to the lintel and above this a
datestone in arched frame with worn lettering: E ;
H C
1654

on 3 sides at 1st floor level are 3-light windows with segmental
relieving arches, and on apex of gable is a lozenge pattern of headers.
To the left is one window on each floor, to the right 2 windows each
floor, all originally 6-lights with chamfered brick mullions and unusual
paired segmental relieving arches, but all ground floor windows are now
casements and those to the right have stone heads. Right gable wall has
4 windows, 3 with single segmental relieving arches and 2 of these with
2 chamfered brick mullions. Windows in rear wall have brick hoodmoulds,
some have chamfered brick mullions; back door to ist bay has moulded stone
jambs and arched lintel with a dripstone over it. Ends of 2 inglenook
bressummers are exposed. Interior: unusually complete survival of
features of the period including back-to-back inglenook hearths with
bressummers, beams with depressed ΒΌ-round moulding and stops, a spiral
newel staircase (in outshut) and a quarter-turn staircase in kitchen;
original board doors; cross-corner parlour fireplace. History: belonged
to estate of Charnocks of Astley; building in Commonwealth period and use
of brick on site adjoining quarry are unusual.


Listing NGR: SD5593716268

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.