History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Charnock Richard, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6366 / 53°38'11"N

Longitude: -2.6773 / 2°40'38"W

OS Eastings: 355315

OS Northings: 415782

OS Grid: SD553157

Mapcode National: GBR 9VRD.53

Mapcode Global: WH866.VV9G

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203609

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357532

Location: Charnock Richard, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Charnock Richard

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Charnock Richard Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE CHARNOCK RICHARD CHURCH LANE

5/17 Christ Church
(Formerly listed as Church of Christ)
17.4.1967 II


Church, 1856-60, by Harrison of Wigan. Sandstone rubble, roof of
hexagonal slates in bands of blue and purple. West tower, nave, chancel
with polygonal apse. In mixed style: forms of c.1200 with late
Perpendicular details. Narrow 4-stage battlemented tower with diagonal
buttresses (crocketed gablets at 1st stage), deeply moulded Tudor-arched
west doorway with decorated spandrels, transomed 3-light west window in
moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould; dripstone band; 3 moulded circular
clockfaces; 4 transomed 2-light belfry louvres; very prominent gargoyles
at the corners, Buttressed 5 bay nave with gabled porch to 2nd bay and
3-light windows in Perpendicular style; chancel has 2 similar windows and
coping pierced by mouchettes; 5-sided buttressed apse has transomed 2-light
windows with cinque-foils in the heads and a battlemented coping.
Interior: scissor-braced hammerbeam roof; dado of apse has Commandment
(etc) tables of glazed polychrome tiles; monumental effigy in white marble
of Mrs. Frances Darlington (d. 1897)by J. Nesfield Forsyth, 1903. History:
built by James Darlington, J.P.,D.C., coal mine proprietor.


Listing NGR: SD5531515782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.