This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4416 / 51°26'29"N
Longitude: -2.5611 / 2°33'39"W
OS Eastings: 361100
OS Northings: 171545
OS Grid: ST611715
Mapcode National: GBR CHQ.N2
Mapcode Global: VH88V.K1F7
Plus Code: 9C3VCCRQ+JH
Entry Name: Former Convent at Rear of Parkside Hotel
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378920
Location: Bristol, BS4
Electoral Ward/Division: Brislington West
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Brislington St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington
901-1/56/427 (South West side)
08/01/59 Former convent at rear of Parkside
(Formerly Listed as:
Arno's Court Hotel)
Convent, now hotel. 1850-1. By Foster and Sons. Built as an
extension to Arno's Court. For the Sisterhood of the Asylum of
the Good Shepherd. Pennant rubble with Bath stone dressings,
slate roof. Italianate style north-facing block with cloister
and chapel backing onto rear of Parkside Hotel (qv).
3 storeys and attic; 3-window range in the north elevation and
2-window range in the east, between clasping pilasters. Keyed,
segmental heads and wide, flat surrounds, string courses
extending from the cills and above the heads; heavy coved
cornice under the attic storey, and tall chimneys with
bracketed cornices. The entrance to the cloister to the left
and back from the main front; originally 2 storeys. It has
ashlar and rubble stripes and a wide round arch on moulded
springers and banded jambs with a wooden door, and a tall
screen wall to left beside the Bath Road; inside is a
cloister, open on 2 sides. The exterior of the chapel has 3
tall pointed windows and an attached column with carved
capital and plinth on the right hand corner.
INTERIOR: chapel, now snooker room, has 3 marble columns at
east end with Corinthian capitals and round arches; the
ceiling is divided into large panels by moulded beams, which
curve down to bear on corbels at the sides. A later addition
in plainer style to the west extends along the side, and has a
front to the W of Parkside Hotel (qv).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 166).
Listing NGR: ST6110071545
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings