This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0028 / 54°0'9"N
Longitude: -1.5324 / 1°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 430743
OS Northings: 456404
OS Grid: SE307564
Mapcode National: GBR KQR4.0W
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.FNH8
Plus Code: 9C6W2F39+42
Entry Name: Royal Stables
Listing Date: 4 February 1975
Last Amended: 21 October 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382319
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodfield
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bilton St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Royal Stables was built c.1890 as stables for the nearby Grove House (Listed Grade II*), and converted to domestic accommodation in the form of 20 flats in the 1980s.
One and two storey stables building of c.1890, for Samson Fox of Grove House.
Materials: gritstone ashlar and tile roofs, with a leaded bell turret.
Plan: the building is arranged around an open courtyard with its long axis approximately north-south. It has a central entrance to the south through an arched gateway and an extended spur running north on the eastern side.
Exterior: the south side has a central arched gateway with rusticated surround, surmounted by a two-storey gabled tower with a bell turret above. The first floor of the tower has 'loophole' windows and a parapet with gargoyles on the corners. The gable above is half-timbered with chimneys to either side. The bell tower has a clock face on each side and an open ogee lead roof. To the right (east) of the entrance the building is two storey with windows to either side of a low wide-arched opening with a recessed doorway and windows, and a first floor string. To the left (west) there are altered ground floor windows and dormers in the roof. The east side has two storeys with mainly small windows and roof lights, some of the first floor windows incorporate projecting gablets: it terminates in a gable with a blocked upper window of 7 lights arranged in a cross. The west side has small low windows in pairs and roof lights above. Towards the south end is a projecting chimney stack with gables and a dormer to the right (south). A window to the left is similar to that in the photograph of the 'Turkish Bath' and matching the location of the washing shed named in contemporary plans. The interior of the courtyard is paved and contains the entrances to the individual dwelling units, including wooden panelling and arched and recessed entrances.
Interiors: not inspected.
Subsidiary items: to the front (south) is a low forecourt wall with rusticated terminal piers surmounted by ball finials.
The stables were built c.1890 for Grove House (listed Grade II*) which stands to the south, by Samson Fox who owned and greatly extended the main house. They are said to have reused fabric from the old Dragon Hotel and possibly also the Old Victoria Baths of c.1832. Samson Fox used material from the Dragon Hotel extensively in his enlargement of Grove House and the tower at the Stables is said to have come from the Hotel. Plans of the stables show a two storey building with loose boxes, stud boxes, kitchen, scullery, cleaning and grooms room, harness room, washing shed, coach house and hospital on the ground floor, and bedrooms, snug, workshop, gas engine and store above. A contemporary photograph shows a room with a central drain, named 'Turkish Bath': apparently the washing shed shown on the plans.
Having been in the ownership of Harrogate Borough Council, the stables were passed to a housing association and converted to accommodation in c.1987. The building was listed in 1975, prior to conversion. It now contains 20 dwelling units.
Royal Stables, Harrogate, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: it is a striking building using good quality materials and displaying a high level of craftsmanship with detailed architectural embellishment including a clock tower and gargoyles
* Historic interest: it was reportedly built using materials from the Old Victoria Baths (c.1832) in Harrogate and is associated with nearby Grove House (Listed Grade II*), rebuilt and enlarged by Samson Fox, local industrialist
Other nearby listed buildings