This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.946 / 51°56'45"N
Longitude: 1.2877 / 1°17'15"E
OS Eastings: 626050
OS Northings: 232604
OS Grid: TM260326
Mapcode National: GBR VQK.VTK
Mapcode Global: VHLCG.8CM1
Entry Name: 14, 15 and 16, Church Street
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366477
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2632NW CHURCH STREET
609-1/2/10 (South West side)
25/09/51 Nos.14, 15 AND 16
House, now 2 dwellings. Late medieval, C17 and early C19.
Timber-framed and plastered with clay plain tile roof. Two
storeys with attics and cellars.
EXTERIOR: front has 2 hipped dormers with double-hung sash
windows and small panes. Projecting painted timber cornice
concealing gutter with frieze of little arches. First floor
has 4 irregularly spaced flush double-hung sash windows with
small panes and panelled treatment of plaster. Ground floor
has 3 shop-like windows (one curved and recessed) all with
small panes. 2 entrance doors with early C19 and flat hoods
and have 2 flush panels above 4 raised-and-fielded panels.
On the rear 2 linked extensions of 2 storeys with attics
gabled in clay plain tiles, one a further extension of an
earlier projection. The gables of these are of black
weatherboarding. Large brick stack rises from junction of
northernmost and main roof.
INTERIOR: some late medieval framing exposed inside, probably
an open hall house with formerly jettied cross wing to NW.
This had central partition and doors in outer edges of
partition as parlour/service combined. Eaves height raised in
early C17 and large room part in No.14 and part in No.15 was
given trabeated plaster ceiling with roses, fleurs-de-lys,
circular pendants and foliage decorations.
The north-western extension is contemporary and of
two-and-a-half storey format and has similar ceiling. Southern
flank wall has remnants of former 4-light window with mullion
mortices composed of a circular hole and a small rectangular
hole. Unpainted Chinese Chippendale dogleg staircase and some
C17 panelling in both units. On the ground floor of No.14 is a
reused C17 bressumer with quadrant profile and decorated with
continuous foliage pattern. In centre is shield-like motif
with date 1606 with intial 'S' superimposed and initials 'TE'
below. Probably a former jetty bressumer.
Listing NGR: TM2605032604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings