This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4815 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -2.5549 / 2°33'17"W
OS Eastings: 361563
OS Northings: 175983
OS Grid: ST615759
Mapcode National: GBR CK7.1S
Mapcode Global: VH88N.N1P3
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378941
Location: Bristol, BS16
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Eastville
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Stapleton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6175 BELL HILL, Stapleton
901-1/33/1938 (South East side)
01/11/66 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. 1857. By John Norton. Squared Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings and slate roof. Aisled nave and west
tower. Decorated Gothic Revival style.
Tall E window to chancel with reticulated tracery, angle
buttresses with gablets and carved mythical animals, and
octagonal shafts to crocketed pinnacles. Hemi-hexagonal vestry
with sprocketed roof to the N, 3-window range to the S.
Weathered coped gable with Celtic cross. 5-bay aisles
separated by buttresses; 3-light windows, carved corbel table
and open traceried parapet. Steep porch in second bay from W
end, with an open lancet doorway with cluster responds, C20 E
doorway, stone benches and encaustic tiles.
3-stage tower with angle buttresses, splayed lancet W door
with 3 orders and ball flowers, ogee hood with crockets and
foliate finial and bishop's and king's head stops; 2-leaf door
with traceried upper panels. 3-light first-floor windows, W
clock with wooden hood on brackets, belfry lights with open
tracery, corbel table and open traceried parapet, buttress
pinnacles and gargoyles; stair tower in the corner with N
aisle. Crocketed hexagonal broach spire with lucarnes and
metal cross finial.
INTERIOR: 3-bay chancel, open to the N organ chamber, with
marble cluster columns and painted foliate capitals; alabaster
reredos and marble floor; arched roof with moulded panels and
angel corbels. 5-bay nave has piers with attached shafts and
moulded capitals and hoods with foliate stops; moulded sill
band beneath the aisle windows; arch-braced roof with wall
posts to carved corbels in the nave, and cross-braced aisle
roofs. W arch to narthex.
FITTINGS: 3 rows of choir stalls in chancel with angel and
poppy heads. Stone pulpit with ramped, curved steps. Alabaster
font on brown marble shafts decorated with ogee arches and
angels. Glass: S chancel window by Kempe 1887.
The church commands a strong position and is considered one of
the City's best Victorian churches. Norton was an influential
local Ecclesiological architect, several of whose churches
have been demolished.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 304; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in
Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20).
Listing NGR: ST6156375983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings