This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5271 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -0.1089 / 0°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 531284
OS Northings: 182606
OS Grid: TQ312826
Mapcode National: GBR M6.QR
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.2W95
Plus Code: 9C3XGVGR+RC
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368525
Location: Clerkenwell, Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW AMWELL STREET
635-1/68/39 (West side)
29/09/72 Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Formerly known as: Northampton Tabernacle.
Formerly known as: Rosoman Street Mission.
Non-conformist chapel, now Roman Catholic church. 1835. By
John Blyth for Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. Gold stock
bricks set in English bond with stucco ground-floor, dressings
and rusticated quoins; roof obscured by high stucco cornice.
Rectangular plan with symmetrical facade to Amwell Street;
forms part of contemporary terrace. Neo-classical style. Two
storeys; 3-window range with projecting central bay. Steps
rise to 3 ground-floor deeply-recessed entrances, all
architraved and keystoned with pairs of panelled C20 doors.
Ground-floor central bay of grander proportions and composed
of blind Ionic irregular tetrastyle pilastrade. Freize above
main entrance faintly inscribed 'NORTHAMPTON TABERNACLE '.
Door to centre flanked by 16-paned fixed sashes; outer bays
with 18-paned rectangular overlights to doors. 1st floor
stucco storey band with corbels to outer bays; central bay
storey division articulated by cornice of ground-floor
tetrastyle. Large architraved Venetian window to central bay
with irregular multi-paned glazing, a high keystone and
balustraded base; flanking round-arched sashes to outer bays
of similar design with balustraded bases. Stucco cornice and
parapet with heightened blocking course to centre inscribed
INTERIOR: Plain Neo-classical interior, but partially
remodeled C20. Original full-height blind arcading carried on
Corinthian pilasters to 'ritual' East end. Plain plaster side
walls with C19 dado; modillioned cornice, original flat
ceiling with square coffering, gilded rosettes and 3
elaborately patterned cast iron ceiling roses to centre. Fine
C19 gallery to rear and sides of chapel supported on slender
cast-iron Ionic columns and balustraded with cast-iron panels
of gilded Gothic-style tracery. Limited fenestration to
side-walls. Shallow vestibule created by c1972 glazed
partition gives access to rear of chapel and to flanking
gallery staircases. History: Built as Northampton Tabernacle
for Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion; from 1847 leased to
Roman Catholics. Also formerly known as Rosoman Street Mission
before it became the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and
(Report prepared by Philip Temple for English Heritage:
Islington Chapels: London: 1989-1989: 1-3/AMWELL STREET).
Listing NGR: TQ3128482606
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings