This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5269 / 51°31'36"N
Longitude: -0.1097 / 0°6'34"W
OS Eastings: 531231
OS Northings: 182585
OS Grid: TQ312825
Mapcode National: GBR M6.JT
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1WWB
Entry Name: Numbers 13 to 19, 19a, 20 to 20b, 21 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195788
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369434
Location: Islington, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW WILMINGTON SQUARE
635-1/68/905 (North East side)
29/09/72 Nos.13-19;19A,20-20B, 21
and attached railings
Nine terraced houses. 1819-1831. By John Wilson, builder for
Lord Compton and the Spa Fields Estate. Yellow stock brick
laid in Flemish bond with banded stucco ground-floor and
stucco dressings; roofs obscured by parapet, brick party-wall
stacks. Side-hall entrance plan with staircase. Four storeys
with basement; 2 windows each except original no. 20 (now
called 18-21 flat 3) with 3-window (all blind) range to
left-hand return wall. Symmetrical group with projecting
end-houses (nos. 13-15 & 19-21) and nos. 16-18 being a plain
recessed centrepiece. Steps rise to entrance (left end house
with 1-storey entrance extension): round-arched doorway set in
narrow stucco recess with fluted 1/4 column jambs carrying
corniced-head, fanlight (nos. 13 & 17 patterned), and original
(except no. 13) panelled door. Ground-floor round-arched
sashes with mostly 6/6 curved and radial glazing bars.
Gauged-brick flat arches to upper storeys. 1st floor stucco
sill band beneath full-length 6/6 sashes with coupled
cast-iron balconies supported by iron brackets; 6/6 and 3/3
sashes to 2nd and 3rd floors respectively. Stucco storey and
sill bands and projecting cornice to 3rd floor. Plain brick
parapet with brick string course and stone coping. Attached
cast-iron railings with urn finials. Wilmington Square was
created from the Earls of Northampton's Spa Fields Estate,
which in 1817 the 9th Earl assigned to his heir Lord Compton.
The subsequent building in Wilmington Square was one of
London's 1st post-Waterloo developments. Progress was
piecemeal: the south terrace was the 1st and grandest; in the
east terrace nos. 13-14 were built at the same time as the
south terrace but nos. 15-21 were not completed until 1831.
For financial reasons the square was reduced in depth and thus
became a backwater on the fringes of estates.
(The Squares of Islington: Cosh, M: The Squares of Islington
Part I: Finsbury and Clerkenwell: Islington: 1990-: 57-58).
Listing NGR: TQ3123182585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings