This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5266 / 51°31'35"N
Longitude: -0.1097 / 0°6'34"W
OS Eastings: 531228
OS Northings: 182543
OS Grid: TQ312825
Mapcode National: GBR M6.JY
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1WVM
Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 12, 12a to 12c (Consecutive) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369433
Location: Islington, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW WILMINGTON SQUARE
635-1/68/904 (South East side)
29/09/72 Nos.1-12; 12A-12C (Consecutive)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
(South West side)
Nos.2-12; 12A, 12B & 12C)
Twelve terraced houses. 1819-1831; post-War reconstruction to
nos. 8-11; c.1989 reconstruction of pediment to no. 12. John
Wilson, builder for Lord Compton and the Spa Fields Estate.
Yellow stock brick laid in Flemish bond with banded stucco and
rusticated stucco (nos. 1, 6-7, 12), ground-floors and stucco
dressings; roofs obscured by parapet, brick party-wall stacks.
Side-hall entrance plan with staircase. Four storeys with
basement; 2 windows each except nos. 6-7 which are 3 windows
wide, plus 1-window range to right (Yardley Street) and
left-hand (Tysoe Street) return walls. Symmetrical group with
projecting pedimented end-houses and nos. 6-7 being a
pedimented centrepiece, breaking forward. Steps rise to
entrance (no. 1 with 1-storey entrance extension; nos. 12A-12C
with full-height canted entrance extension): round-arched
doorway set in narrow stucco recess with fluted 1/4 column
jambs carrying corniced-head, fanlight (nos. 1-7 patterned),
and panelled doors. Ground-floor round-arched sashes with 6/6
curved and radial glazing bars. Nos. 8-11 reconstructed
laterally since the War with extensive reworking of
fenestration and doors so that there is now a single front
door called '8-11' which was the original no. 9 and a 9-window
range rather than the original 10-window range. Gauged-brick
flat arches to upper storeys except 1st floor sashes to end
and centrepieces which are gauged-brick round arches. 1st
floor stucco sill band beneath full-length 6/6 sashes with
coupled cast-iron balconies supported by iron brackets. Stucco
storey bands to 2nd (6/6 sashes) and 3rd (3/3 sashes) floors;
3rd floor also has projecting stucco cornice and sill band.
Altered stucco cornice and blocking course. End and
centrepiece houses with stucco pediments: no. 12 has been
rebuilt; the centre typanum adorned with crossed laurel
branches in low relief. Attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials. Wilmington Square was created from the Earls of
Northampton's Spa Fields Estate, which in 1817 the 9th Earl
assigned to his heir Lord Compton. The subsequent building in
Wilmington Square was one of London's 1st post-Waterloo
developments. Progress was piecemeal: the south terrace (nos.
1-12) was the 1st and grandest; for financial reasons the
square was reduced in depth and thus became a backwater on the
fringes of estates.
(The Squares of Islington: Cosh, M: The Squares of Islington
Part I: Finsbury and Clerkenwell: Islington: 1990-: 93-98).
Listing NGR: TQ3122882543
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings