This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5866 / 53°35'11"N
Longitude: -0.3305 / 0°19'49"W
OS Eastings: 510614
OS Northings: 411296
OS Grid: TA106112
Mapcode National: GBR VV4Z.71
Mapcode Global: WHGGJ.W3TS
Plus Code: 9C5XHMP9+JR
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165930
Location: Kirmington, North Lincolnshire, DN39
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Kirmington
Built-Up Area: Kirmington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Brocklesby Park
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
KIRMINGTON MAIN STREET
TA 11 SW
7/27 Church of Saint Helen
Parish church. C13 tower, early C14 north arcade, later C14 south arcade.
Spire erected 1838. Restorations of 1859-60 by S S Teulon included
partially rebuilding chancel, opening blocked arcades and tower arch and
providing new aisles. Spire restored 1895. Ironstone ashlar tower, much
weathered, remainder in limestone and ironstone with limestone ashlar
dressings. Welsh slate roof; copper-covered wooden spire. West tower, 4-
bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. 3-stage
tower: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses to first 2 stages, stair lighting
slits to south-west corner. Small lancets to first stage, blocked to south;
string course. Clockface to second stage; string course. Twin lancet
belfry openings, string course, weathered angle gargoyles and low parapet.
Wrought-iron parapet railings with plain rails, single top rail and ball
finials to principals. Hexagonal spire with weathercock. North aisle:
plinth, buttresses, sill string-course; pointed 2-light traceried windows.
South aisle: plinth; pointed 3-light traceried windows, pointed moulded
south door. Chancel: pointed chamfered south door, pointed 3-light
traceried north and south windows, pointed 5-light east window with hood-
mould and foliate stops. All windows C19 with geometrical tracery.
Interior. Tall triple-chamfered segmental-pointed tower arch with hood-
mould and plain chamfered jambs. North arcade of pointed double-chamfered
arches with hood-moulds and carved headstops on broad filleted quatrefoil
piers with water-holding bases, circular plinths and moulded capitals with a
remarkable series of carved heads, including bishop, a crowned head and a
signum triciput. South arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on
octagonal piers with single rings around lower sections, plain moulded
capital, chamfered bases and square plinths. C19 pointed double chamfered
chancel arch with shafted inner order. C19 4-bay nave roof with collar,
king struts and curved wind-braces. Ornate ashlar and marble font dated
1860. The north and south aisles were demolished in 1742 and 1774
respectively, and the roof lowered in 1789. N Pevsner and J Harris, The
Buildings of England : Lincolnshire, 1978, 288-9; drawing by C Nattes, 1795,
Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library. Associated Architectural Societies
Reports and Papers, Vol V, pt 1, 1859, xx; ibid pt 2, 1860, lxxi.
Listing NGR: TA1061411296
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings