This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5873 / 53°35'14"N
Longitude: -0.3258 / 0°19'32"W
OS Eastings: 510919
OS Northings: 411381
OS Grid: TA109113
Mapcode National: GBR VV5Y.8S
Mapcode Global: WHGGJ.Z307
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 16 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165928
Location: Kirmington, North Lincolnshire, DN39
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Kirmington
Built-Up Area: Kirmington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Brocklesby Park
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
KIRMINGTON MAIN STREET
TA 11 SW
(east side, off)
7/25 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house. 1846-8 by S S Teulon for the Rector of Brocklesby, the
Rev Robert Carr Brackenbury, chaplain to the Earl of Yarborough. Later C19
additions to rear; renovated 1984-5. Local grey brick in Flemish bond with
sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style.
Original range F-shaped on plan: west entrance front with 2 projecting wings
(that to right incorporating entrance porch) and service wing to left; later
additions to rear right and rear left. West front: main range 2 storeys and
attic, 4 bays, with single-storey service wing to left. Chamfered plinth.
Projecting full-height gabled entrance porch with octagonal angle-buttresses
with off-sets. Steps to half-glazed panelled door and plain overlight in
chamfered brick 4-centred arch and projecting brick surround corbelled-out
to gabled hood with shaped kneelers and chamfered 4-centred arch. Left
return of porch has pair of single-light windows flanking a blind central
panel beneath hood-mould. Adjoining wing to right has projecting central
section with single-light window (originally 2-light); wing to left has
narrow single-light window; recessed second bay has ground and first-floor
stair-windows divided by brick panel in full-height reveal beneath carved
ashlar tablet and hood-mould. First floor: porch has projecting bay
supported on moulded brick brackets, with narrow single-light window,
corbelled brick cornice and hood; left return of porch has weathered ashlar
tablet. Wing to left has similar projecting bay, but with chamfered angles
and continuous hood-mould; single-light attic window above. Wing to right
has single-light (formerly 2-light) window beneath continuous hood-mould.
All windows have moulded brick reveals of 2 orders and C20 casements. Wings
have brick tumbled and coped gables with shaped kneelers and corbelled
pinnacle shafts; porch has ornate crowned shafts to buttresses in red and
yellow brick; right wing has datestone inscribed 1831 and projecting central
section with tumbled brick off-sets rising to bellcote above gable with
chamfered arched niche and brick bands. Cogged brick eaves cornice to
recessed bay and returns of wings. Axial and end stacks to main range.
Lower section to left, with single window and cogged brick eaves cornice,
incorporates octagonal angle turret with C20 replacement wooden bellcote
above; higher single-storey block to rear with hipped roof. Right return
forms south garden front, 3 bays, symmetrical (right bay later addition):
central ground-floor square bay window with sill band and cogged brick
cornice flanked by canted brick bay windows with full-length windows, cogged
brick cornice and hipped roofs. First-floor windows in moulded surrounds.
Cogged brick eaves cornice, attic window to central brick tumbled and coped
gable with corbelled finial, gables to side bays with ashlar tablets.
Interior: a good open well staircase with drop-on-drop balusters.
Listing NGR: TA1091911381
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings