This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6308 / 53°37'50"N
Longitude: -0.3546 / 0°21'16"W
OS Eastings: 508904
OS Northings: 416173
OS Grid: TA089161
Mapcode National: GBR TVZG.16
Mapcode Global: WHGG4.JZCZ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165941
Location: Wootton, North Lincolnshire, DN39
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Wootton
Built-Up Area: Wootton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WOOTTON HIGH STREET
TA 01 NE
(north side, off)
3/34 Church of Saint Andrew
Parish church. C13 arcades. C14-15 tower. Restorations of 1851 included
rebuilding new chancel and porch, chancel; top of tower rebuilt 1877; C20
restorations to north aisle. Much weathered ironstone ashlar tower with
limestone ashlar parapet; ironstone and limestone ashlar to lower section of
south aisle with squared chalk above; squared ironstone and chalk to north
aisle with rusticated limestone ashlar to restored sections; limestone
rubble, squared chalk and ironstone to porch; coursed limestone rubble to
chancel and vestry. Limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.
West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry
adjoining north side. 3-stage tower: diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth,
stair lighting slits to south-west angle, string courses between stages.
First stage: restored pointed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery.
Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils to south and west,
clockface to south. Pointed belfry openings with pierced roundels over twin
lancets. Restored string course with angle gargoyles, coped embattled
parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Chamfered plinth and sill string
course to nave and chancel. South aisle: restored square-headed
2-light trefoiled windows with hood-moulds and original headstops, single-
light trefoiled east window and C19 pointed 2-light traceried west window
with hood-moulds and re-used headstops. North aisle: restored pointed
ovolo-chamfered door; 2 square-headed 2-light windows with restored tracery,
pointed 3-light east window with restored intersecting tracery, original
hood-mould and headstops, pointed 2-light west window with C19 tracery,
hood-mould and original headstops. Chancel: angle buttresses; C19 2-light
and restored 3-light traceried windows to south, restored pointed 2-light
plate-traceried north window with pierced trefoil in roundel over pair of
trefoiled lights, C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. Porch:
chamfered plinth, quoins; restored front with pointed chamfered arch with
hood-mould and headstops; restored pointed ovolo-chamfered inner arch with
hood-mould and headstops. Interior. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower
arch with moulded base and inner order on plain moulded capitals, pointed
chamfered door to tower staircase. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered
arches (those to south very wide) on octagonal piers with plain moulded
capitals and bases, those to south more ornate. C19 double-chamfered
chancel arch on filleted responds, pointed arch to pulpit. Trefoiled
piscina to south aisle, ogee-headed piscina to north aisle, pointed piscina
to nave. Ornate C19 painted carved ashlar pulpit and traceried altar rails.
Marble wall tablets in north aisle: to Francis Ellis of 1759, with
pilasters, obelisk and winged cherub's head; to Uppleby family of late C18 -
early C19 with carved draped urn, winged cherub's head and pediment
surmounted by carved arms; to John Uppleby of 1839, with life-sized head
profile in relief and pediment with painted arms; to Gifford family of early
C19 with carved urn. C19 font and commandment boards at west end of nave.
Disused medieval font with plain sub-rectangular bowl on chamfered column
and plain base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p 430; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection,
Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA0890316169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings