This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9452 / 51°56'42"N
Longitude: 1.2892 / 1°17'21"E
OS Eastings: 626152
OS Northings: 232525
OS Grid: TM261325
Mapcode National: GBR VQR.2R2
Mapcode Global: VHLCG.9CDM
Plus Code: 9F33W7WQ+3M
Entry Name: Esplanade House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366554
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2632NW KING'S QUAY STREET
609-1/2/78 (South West side)
25/09/51 Nos.31 AND 32
Esplanade House and attached
House with attached iron railings. 'newly built 1813'. Cream
Gault bricks with Welsh slate gambrel roof, the upper part
hipped on the SE end. 3 storeys with attics and cellars and
with complex extension to rear.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical front with continuous parapet and 2
full-height brick bows, each with painted timber entablature
at each storey height. The bows each have 3 grouped
double-hung sash windows with small panes on each floor,
framed by painted timber pilasters and with stone sills. In
the centre, the upper 2 floors each have a double-hung sash
window with small panes and red rubbed brick arches with stone
imposts. The central entrance has a semicircular red brick
arched head on stone imposts, enclosing an Adamesque fanlight.
6-panel door with reeded panel mouldings and reeded pilasters
and frieze. Flight of stone steps with cast-iron handrails and
bootscrapers. Cellars are lit by double-hung sash windows into
an area enclosed by spear-headed cast-iron railings of
segmental plan form echoing the bows. One stack at NW end of
INTERIOR: substantially unchanged plan form with central hall
leading through semicircular-arched opening to the staircase
placed at right-angles. This is a cantilevered, open-well
stair with stick balusters and wreathed hardwood handrail.
Service stairs in rear. All major rooms have reeded
architraves and skirtings and simple plaster cornices. 2
curved doors with curved reeded architraves survive, perhaps
remnants of an earlier unrealised scheme. Some rooms have
semicircular-headed recesses and cupboards with reeded
surrounds. All first-floor rooms have reeded door architraves
with lions' heads at the intersections.
Listing NGR: TM2615232525
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings