This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6995 / 51°41'58"N
Longitude: 0.3217 / 0°19'18"E
OS Eastings: 560541
OS Northings: 202637
OS Grid: TL605026
Mapcode National: GBR NJD.J4G
Mapcode Global: VHHMQ.JKF0
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 27 November 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373325
Location: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Blackmore St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL60SW FINGRITH HALL LANE
723-1/2/21 High House
House. C17, extended in C20. Timber-framed, weatherboarded,
roofed with axial stack at left end. C17 stair outshut to rear
of left bay, and later outshut to rear of right bay, both
forming catslides with the main roof. C20 lean-to porch to
right of rear right outshut.
2 storeys. One C20 casement on ground floor, 2 on first floor.
C20 door in C20 gabled porch in front of stack. The left side
is faced with C19 red brickwork in English bond up to
first-floor level, with a large cement-rendered panel in the
middle, apparently covering a former hearth to the left of the
present stack, and the associated C17 brickwork. Large C20
dormer in catslide roof of rear right outshut.
INTERIOR: chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops,
plain joists of vertical section; inserted trap in floor near
front right corner, with some C19 studding and nailed bracing
to left of it. Unjowled posts, heavy studding with primary
straight bracing, all jointed and pegged. C19 brick nogging
has replaced the ground-floor studding of the right wall.
Straight central tie-beam, with inserted partition below. The
framed doorway at the head of the stair outshut is original,
and implies that the stair outshut is original also. The stack
has on the ground floor a large wood-burning hearth with 0.33m
jambs and a seat recess in each; the left jamb has been
repaired with C20 handmade bricks, and the remainder has been
repaired and repointed. Blocked rectangular aperture at rear,
with iron lintel, for former bread oven. The first-floor
hearth has chamfered jambs and segmental arch, originally
plastered, now stripped, but retaining traces of original
painted plaster and inscribed course lines inside. Early C19
cast-iron grate for coal with embossed design in side panels.
Rectangular recessed panel above. Both hearths are original.
These, and the unusually high storeys, indicate the house is
the remaining part of a C17 lobby-entrance house which
formerly extended one bay to left of the stack. The left bay
has been demolished, the stack rendered on the outside, and
the spaces in front of and to the rear of it have been closed
with C19 brickwork. The tithe map of 1846 appears to show the
full length of the original house, but the First Edition OS
map of 1873 shows it truncated to its present plan.
(Essex Record Office: Tithe map: 1846-: D/CT 37).
Listing NGR: TL6054102637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings