This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2692 / 50°16'8"N
Longitude: -5.0642 / 5°3'51"W
OS Eastings: 181736
OS Northings: 45512
OS Grid: SW817455
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.L4YD
Mapcode Global: FRA 088B.4WQ
Entry Name: Comprigney
Listing Date: 30 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377356
Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1
Civil Parish: Truro
Built-Up Area: Truro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Kenwyn with St Allen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW84NW COMPRIGNEY HILL
880-1/1/34 (West side)
Country house. C18 with possible C16 core, extended early C20
for George Coulter Hancock. Stucco or render on masonry;
hipped dry Delabole slate roofs with rendered axial stacks.
Fairly large rectangular double-depth plan. Classical-style
features. 2 storeys; SE front is overall 9-window range:
symmetrical 7-window front of C18 house on the right and
2-window return of early C20 projecting wing on the left.
Plinth; moulded architraves with pediments to ground floor;
moulded string and eaves cornice; early C19 and early C20
sashes with glazing bars. Central round-headed doorway within
recessed panel; panelled reveals and spoked fanlight over
Left-hand return is early C20 three-bay garden front with
central bay broken forward and surmounted by a triangular
pediment with modillioned cornices and oculus over small
9-pane sash to first floor and Venetian window to ground
floor. Other elevations also unaltered since early C20.
INTERIOR: many good quality possibly C18 and early C20
features including probably mid C18 dogleg stair with closed
string, column-turned balusters and moulded mahogany handrail;
round-headed doorcases, to entrance vestibule, with panelled
reveals; panelled doors and shutters, moulded architraves,
moulded plaster ceiling cornices (some carved) and many
History: In C16 Comprigney was a 24-acre manor and part of the
Duke of Arundell's estate. In 1718 it was the birthplace of
the Reverend Thomas Vivian whose son John (according to
Tregellas) may be called the founder of the Cornish copper
trade; his son Sir Richard Hussey Vivian distinguished himself
at Waterloo and became Baron Vivian of Glynn and Truro; also
MP for Truro 1820-1826 and 1833-1835. The house was then the
property of his heirs until passing to William Mitchell who
died there in 1845. During World War II the house was
requisitioned by the American Forces.
(Miller & Company, sale particulars: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SW8173645512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings