This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5466 / 51°32'47"N
Longitude: -0.1183 / 0°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 530576
OS Northings: 184760
OS Grid: TQ305847
Mapcode National: GBR FQ.BVL
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.WDT6
Plus Code: 9C3XGVWJ+MM
Entry Name: Caledonian Road Methodist Church and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368619
Location: Islington, London, N7
Electoral Ward/Division: Caledonian
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke West Holloway
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3084NE CALEDONIAN ROAD
635-1/44/128 (West side)
Caledonian Road Methodist Church and
Formerly known as: Primitive Methodist Chapel CALEDONIAN ROAD.
Non-conformist Methodist chapel, formerly Primitive Methodist.
1870; restored 1953; internal alterations c.1972. By T & W
Stone; William Goodman, builder. Buff brick with stone and red
brick decoration especially for alternate voussoirs;
projecting eaves to roof, of which materials obscured.
Handsome Italianate style chapel of rectangular plan. Two
storeys; 4-window range to main elevation, and 5-window range
to right-hand return wall in Market Road. Symmetrical facade
to Caledonian Road: projecting ground-floor to full-width of
front elevation for entrance porch and lobbies to gallery
stairs. Central doorway flanked by triple round-arched windows
carried on cast-iron columns. Memorial plaques beneath
windows. Stone string-course and narrow cornice, parapet with
Greek cross motif picked out in red brick. Broken pediment
above doorway containing name plaque. Upper storey with
round-arched windows with impost strings. Frieze above repeats
the Greek cross decoration. Sharply projecting cornice. Window
frames of cast-iron and comprise 3 circular lights, arranged
vertically (top light opens on alternate windows). Market Road
elevation with basement area: ground-floor sashes with
segmental heads; upper floor sashes as on main facade.
INTERIOR: : marred by addition of walls beneath gallery.
Wooden gallery supported on slender cast-iron columns;
ornamental cast-iron panels beneath handrail. Original seats.
Coved and coffered ceiling, ribs resting on ornamental
corbels. C19 organ but installed 1930s.
One of the best-designed and best-executed chapels in
(Survey of Nonconformist chapels and places of worship:
Temple, P: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-: CALEDONIAN
Listing NGR: TQ3057684760
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings