This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5944 / 51°35'40"N
Longitude: 0.3635 / 0°21'48"E
OS Eastings: 563811
OS Northings: 191046
OS Grid: TQ638910
Mapcode National: GBR NKM.W6B
Mapcode Global: VHJKS.8611
Entry Name: Mount Thrift
Listing Date: 21 October 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373363
Location: Herongate and Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13
Civil Parish: Herongate and Ingrave
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ6391 BILLERICAY ROAD, Herongate
723-1/13/165 (South side)
Formerly known as: No.127 Mount Thrift BILLERICAY ROAD East
House. C16 and earlier, extended in C18 and C19.
Timber-framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. 3-bay main range facing N, with central stack.
Earlier 3-bay cross-wing to right of stack, incorporated in
C16 main range and projecting one bay to rear. C16 wing to
rear of left part of main range, and narrower wing to rear of
stack, the whole forming a rectangular plan with 2 gables to
front and 3 gables to rear. External stack to right, and
single-storey lean-to extensions to front of it, roofed with
red clay pantiles, and to rear of it, forming a catslide with
the roof of the rear wing. C18 wing to left, with external
stack to rear. C20 single-storey lean-to to rear.
2 storeys. All the front windows are C19 casements, or C20
replacements in the same style. Flush 6-panel door and moulded
flat canopy on scrolled brackets at front of porch in front of
left wing. The central stack has 4 linked shafts set
diagonally in a cruciform plan. The left wing has a hipped
roof, and in the left elevation a C19 2-storey bay of sashes.
In the rear elevation of the middle wing is a C19 sash with
marginal lights and coloured glass, at half-height, lighting
the intermediate landing of a C19 dogleg stair. C17 ledged
back door with original wooden handle.
INTERIOR: the right rear wing has a chamfered axial beam,
exposed plain joists of horizontal section, and a crownpost
roof. All other joists plastered to the soffits. To left of
the stack a chamfered transverse beam is originally tapered at
the front, as for a former jetty. The main roof is plastered
to the soffits of the rafters and collars, but probably of
clasped purlin construction. C20 grates and heater in all
fireplaces. In the left rear wing is some exposed
weatherboarding and a C17 wrought-iron casement with handmade
glass and diamond leading, meriting special care. In the left
wing are two 6-panel doors, and a recess between with a
semi-elliptical arch. Early C19 stair with stick balusters. On
the first floor, to right of the stack, are two C17 moulded
doors, one of 3 planks and one of 4. The window with moulded
mullions recorded in RCHM (East Horndon) 3 may be in the left
elevation, on the first floor. The name is first recorded as
Mondeffryth in court rolls of 1403. A report by Christopher
Starr dated 1969 traces the history of the holding. Moated
Listing NGR: TQ6381191046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings