History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Granary/Court Hall 90 Metres South East of Heron Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Herongate and Ingrave, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6004 / 51°36'1"N

Longitude: 0.3666 / 0°21'59"E

OS Eastings: 563999

OS Northings: 191711

OS Grid: TQ639917

Mapcode National: GBR NKM.PHJ

Mapcode Global: VHJKS.91NH

Entry Name: Granary/Court Hall 90 Metres South East of Heron Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373369

Location: Herongate and Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Herongate and Ingrave

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hutton

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ6391 BILLERICAY ROAD, Herongate
723-1/13/172 (North side (off))
Granary/court hall 90 metres
south-east of Heron Hall

GV II

Granary/court hall, now a granary. C17, altered in C20. Red
and blue brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. Rectangular plan aligned approx N-S, abutting on moat
at N end, abutting on C20 farm buildings to W and E.
EXTERIOR: brickwork of high quality, with blue headers forming
a regular pattern externally, and lime mortar. Blocked window
at 2 levels, and door apertures in W and E walls, all with
segmental brick arches; some in the E wall are concealed
externally by plaster rendering to a height of 4m, some in the
W wall were concealed by piles of grain at time of inspection,
August 1989. In the S wall is a central C20 doorway, above it
an original window aperture with segmental arch, blocked and
in the gable 3 original oval apertures and 3 wrought-iron tie
bars forming the letters J T, and S at the peak. Parapet
gables with plain kneelers. In the N wall are 5 plain loops,
one later aperture, and 2 wrought-iron ties forming the
letters J T. At the NW corner is an original limestone
pilaster with panelled front, moulded base and capital. A
similar pilaster is on the W wall a few metres to the S, now
within the abutting C20 building. Buttresses of various dates
to W and S. In the middle of each long wall is a large
aperture, not original, effectively converting this part into
the threshing bay of a barn; that in the E wall is bridged by
a reused timber lintel. These walls have on the outside a
projecting band of 4 courses, and on the inside a step to
support a floor, now missing. When recorded by the RCHM there
was a porch to the E.
INTERIOR: the roof is original and complete, of high-quality
oak, fully jointed and pegged; 12 bays 2 butt-purlins in each
pitch of each bay, aligned in adjacent bays; intermediate
bird-mouthed collars at half-bay internals; rafters of
horizontal section. In some bays there are opposed pairs of
straight wind-braces inside the rafters, not trenched.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the great size of this building, and the
presence of window apertures in 2 storeys, suggest that
originally it was designed as a manorial court hall, possibly
with an ancillary function as a granary, later converted into
a barn, and now a granary again. There are parallels at
Cressing Temple, Essex, and Crows Hall, Debenham, Suffolk. The
letters J T evidently stand for John Tyrell, but there were
several possible owners of this name. The most likely one was
born in 1593, married in 1624 and 1630, and was knighted by
Charles I in 1627/8. As a Royalist he could not have engaged
in major building schemes under the Commonwealth, but in 1661
he recovered his position and was elected MP for Maldon, dying
in 1675. All features of the building are compatible with
construction in the period 1661-1675.


Listing NGR: TQ6399991711

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.