History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5463 / 50°32'46"N

Longitude: -2.4358 / 2°26'8"W

OS Eastings: 369220

OS Northings: 71923

OS Grid: SY692719

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.3N98

Mapcode Global: FRA 57SM.8X2

Entry Name: Stanley House

Listing Date: 16 January 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 381935

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

Civil Parish: Portland

Built-Up Area: Weston

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Portland

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY6871 EASTON STREET, Easton
969-1/4/41 (East side)
16/01/51 No.28
Stanley House

II

House in row. Dated 1760. Squared and coursed stone block,
slate roof with clay ridge. Two-room heated plan with central
through passage and rear wing to right. Symmetrical 3-storey,
2-window frontage with classical porch. Three-light casements
with stone chamfered mullions with flush surrounds; at ground
and first floors with flush plat surrounds, but top floor has
coursed jambs. RCHM suggest top floor added, but masonry
appears identical with lower work. Central porch with side
walls to half-round Doric columns and moulded pediment. Back
wing similar, on one floor only, with a 3-light casement
window as front. Stone stack with skirt and moulded capping,
left, and brick stack right. An added swept-down unit at back.
Interior has small dressed stone fireplaces to each
ground-floor room, and a C19 tight winder stair in right room;
wing entered through opening with cambered head, and a similar
opening with hollow mould surround on north wall of wing,
formerly an external door. First-floor fireplace with moulded
jambs has, on lintol, 2 beehives and inscription: "1760:
William Pearce and Rebecca his wife builded this House".
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 255).


Listing NGR: SY6922071923

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.