This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8247 / 50°49'28"N
Longitude: -0.1685 / 0°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 529094
OS Northings: 104389
OS Grid: TQ290043
Mapcode National: GBR JP3.66Q
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JX.J5X
Entry Name: The South Eastern Electricity Board
Listing Date: 31 May 1974
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365535
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Central Hove
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2904SW GRAND AVENUE
579-1/22/54 (East side)
31/05/74 The South Eastern Electricity Board
(Formerly Listed as:
The South Eastern Electricity Board)
Hotel and dwellings, now offices. 1871-1874, restored 1981
with large addition. Designed by James Knowles, builder
J.T.Chappell, extended by Fitzroy Robinson Miller Bourne &
Partners for Seeboard.
Yellow stock bricks, quoins, asbestos slate roofs with pyramid
roofs to corner towers, overhanging eaves with moulded
cornice, tall brick stacks with moulded caps. Italianate
L-plan facing south, south front: 7-storey tower left,
6-storey right, central block of 5 storeys, 3:15:3 bays; small
pediment with heraldic achievement in tympanum covering the
central, slightly projecting, 3 bays, C20 plastic sash windows
without glazing bars, round-headed windows to upper stage of
tower, 3 lowest storeys canted bays, segmental heads to ground
floor and second floor windows, continous metal balconies on
shaped brackets to first and second floors. Former entrance
(now disused) in ninth bay right, panelled door. Left return
(west) of 3:3:3 bays with 6-storey tower, fenestration similar
to that of main elevation except for tripartite windows in
centre bay; abutting C20 addition. Entrance via C20 addition.
When first erected the building contained Mr Prince's Hotel in
the western part, with the entrance on the site of the present
rebuilt S.E.E.B. entrance, and dwellings and a club in the
David Reuben Sassoon lived at No.7 and entertained the Shah of
Persia there in 1889. Over the years Prince's Hotel expanded
to include the whole block and down to the Second World War it
was one of the finest hotels in Hove. In 1948 it was purchased
by the S.E.E.B. who still use it as their headquarters.
(Middleton J: Hove in Old Picture Postcards: 1983-).
Listing NGR: TQ2909404389
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings