History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wolverhampton, City of Wolverhampton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.597 / 52°35'49"N

Longitude: -2.1668 / 2°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 388795

OS Northings: 299920

OS Grid: SO887999

Mapcode National: GBR 13F.TF

Mapcode Global: WHBFR.PZCH

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 29 July 1950

Last Amended: 31 March 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378388

Location: Wolverhampton, WV6

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Tettenhall Wightwick

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Tettenhall Regis

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SJ8899 COLLEGE ROAD, Tettenhall
895-1/10/123 (South side)
29/07/50 The Old House
(Formerly Listed as:
Headmaster's House, Tettenhall
College)

II*

House. c1725. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with
brick stacks. Double-depth plan with central stair. Early
Georgian style. Garden front to left return of 2 storeys;
symmetrical 3-window range with 2-storey canted porch and
single-storey gabled wing to right. Top modillioned cornice
and stone-coped brick parapet. Ground floor has Venetian
windows with triple keystones over sashed windows with margin
lights; 1st floor has windows with eared architraves on sill
blocks and sashed windows with margin lights. Porch has round
arches with triple keystones on plastered piers; round-headed
entrance with fanlight over paired glazed doors; platt band
and 3 round-headed 1st floor windows with pilasters,
archivolts and triple keystones; sashes with glazing bars; end
stacks. Wing has coped gable and segmental-headed window with
tripartite sash with margin lights. Entrance front has Tuscan
porch to rear wing; 1st floor windows with C18 cross-casements
with pegged wooden frames; inserted garage door to end; rear
of single-storey wing has shaped gable.
INTERIOR: open-well stair with open string and 3
column-on-vase balusters to the tread, turned newels and
ramped handrail; some shuttered windows; rococo plaster
ceiling to drawing room; mid C18th cornices.


Listing NGR: SO8879599920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.