This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0243 / 52°1'27"N
Longitude: 0.2404 / 0°14'25"E
OS Eastings: 553811
OS Northings: 238578
OS Grid: TL538385
Mapcode National: GBR MC3.1LY
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.3DY0
Plus Code: 9F4226FR+P5
Entry Name: Nos. 29 and 31, CHURCH STREET
Listing Date: 28 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370492
Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/05/2017
CHURCH STREET (south side),
Nos. 29 and 31
(Formerly listed as located in Castle Street)
Shop, was once part of the Sun Inn, which included Nos 25 & 27
Church Street (qv) and 17 Market Hill (qv). Mid C14, altered
C16, frontage decorated C17, restored C19. Two storeys.
Timber-framed, plastered with elaborate pargetting, peg-tiled
roof. L shaped plan, part of H hall house with jettied
cross-wing and hall.
Front N elevation: similar to Nos 25 & 27 in that it was
reworked in late C19, all windows and doorways either remade
or heavily restored in Tudor style. All upper windows, and one
lower, have casements with intersecting cast-iron hexagonal
latticed glazing bars, as a building style. Roofs were
re-raftered with side purlins and new barge-boards. Remaining
old features include jetty joists, cross-wing door spandrel
boards and extensive late C17 pargetting. Elevation comprises
hall at E end with C14 cross-entry door to E, 2-centred arched
head with quatrefoils and trefoils in spandrel panels. Door of
over-lapping nailed arrised boards. Above, projecting porch
with 3-light iron latticed window, gable barge-boards rebuilt
with Jacobean arabesque decoration, deep original supporting
braces. To W, C17 pargetted motif of swag with birds. Slightly
projecting gabled bay window in similar style to porch with
Jacobean decoration, ground and first floor windows both of 5
lights, ground has upper transom, both iron lattices. Cambered
tie-beam with decoration similar to barge-boards, date I W
1625. Between windows is pargetted bird in roundel. To W, tall
jettied solar cross-wing, ground floor shop window and door,
all C19 restoration. Window, 2 sections, each with mullion and
2 transoms, door with overlight and upper glazing, 2x2 panes
and 2 lower inset boarded panels continues design from
windows. First floor, 4-light window with iron latticed
casement, gable projects over double tie-beams and facia
board, all moulded, gable pargetted with upper face and lower
date of 1676. 3 pargetted panels between windows, central bird
and outer stylised leaf scrolls.
Rear, S elevation: irregular fenestration, but 2 gabled,
timber-framed and plastered units corresponding to medieval
form. C19 stack in Tudor style over hall unit, hall unit has
been expanded round stack as a 2-storeyed gabled extension.
Ground floor windows, one sash, 3x4 panes, one casement, 2x2
panes, one single paned, fixed, also, plain C20 door with 2
upper glazed panes. First floor windows, 1 triple sash
1x4,3x4,1x4 panes, one sash, 4x4 panes.
INTERIOR: original framing mainly obscured by C19 plastering.
Hall has inserted floor and ground floor central room (hall
area) has early C18 shallow recessed panelling and bolection
moulded fireplace in lateral stack on rear wall. Spandrels
boards of rear cross-entry door survive, plain but with hollow
chamfers to 2-centred arch. Also, cut framing of hall service
division partly visible. Solar cross-wing jetty joists have
centre-tenoned jointing. Old stud and wattle groove marks
imply that ground floor hall `high' end wall was recessed
under cross-wing to create a canopy at `high' end of the hall.
First floor plain now, except for part of the tie-beam and
braces of a spere partition truss of the hall. The medieval
framing is seen from the roof space with crown-post roofs to
both hall and cross-wing. Also the high end of the hall seen
to have upper multiple decorated arched bracing. The building
is dated to c1350 (Hewett).
(Hewett C: English Historic Carpentry, Chichester: 1980-).
Listing NGR: TL5381138578
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings