This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0242 / 52°1'27"N
Longitude: 0.2405 / 0°14'25"E
OS Eastings: 553822
OS Northings: 238567
OS Grid: TL538385
Mapcode National: GBR MC3.1N2
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.4D03
Plus Code: 9F4226FR+M6
Entry Name: 13, Market Hill
Listing Date: 1 November 1972
Last Amended: 31 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370662
Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL5338 MARKET HILL
669-1/1/277 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.13 AND 15)
Commercial premises. 1864. Grey gault brick, slate roof, red
brick stack. Plan irregular L shape of street range and rear
additions. 2 storeys and cellar.
Front E elevation: on hill, falling to S, brickwork tuck
pointed, deep eaves with modillions, stack at S end. 4 first
floor windows all with stucco voussoirs, sashes with glazing
bars, 4x4 panes. Doorway, bay 2 from N, Doric fluted jambs and
triglyph frieze under shallow cornice hood, doorcase with
fielded panels, over-light with decorative glazing bars, door
of 6 moulded panels. C20 shop window each side of door,
cornice with simple fascia board, 3 large panes. Tapered
plinth with cellar grille at S end. Rear, W elevation:
irregular additions. 3 first floor window range, segment
headed sashes with glazing bars, 3x4 panes, also small C20
casement. Ground floor, W-N, segment headed French window 4x4
panes, and felt roofed lean-to with C19 casement window.
Recess in house under high wide timber lintel (considered to
have once been a carriageway to rear) contains 2 windows, one
2-light casement and one partly obscured sash 3x4 panes. In
front, felt-roofed lean-to with simple C20 window and door
and, adjoining, red brick lean-to against garden wall to W
with C19 3x2 paned casement window and, at W end, C19 segment
headed doorway of 4 panels, upper moulded, lower flush. Also,
small 2-light casement window. 2 S bays, rear house wall, deep
2-storey slated lean-to with 2 flat roofed dormer windows
behind, 2-light casements 4x3 panes, sky-light between. 2 red
brickstacks at S end. N end bay, roof slated, as subsidiary
gable with stack shared with No.15 (qv).
INTERIOR: original stair with recessed panelled square newel
posts, turned balusters, stair window with panelled shutters.
Original 6 panelled rear door. Cellar with brick and flint
walling in 2 sections with brick arch between and wall triple
arched at S end. Window to cellar, sliding sash 6x2 panes,
rear ground floor room has a large round headed safe
considered to date from the first build when the building was
Gibson's Bank, before the new bank in Market Place was built
1874 (qv). The building became the post office in 1881.
Listing NGR: TL5382238567
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings