This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9808 / 51°58'50"N
Longitude: -1.0114 / 1°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 467994
OS Northings: 231829
OS Grid: SP679318
Mapcode National: GBR 9XW.WMC
Mapcode Global: VHDT8.FG5W
Plus Code: 9C3WXXJQ+8C
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity, Attached Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205788
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377300
Location: Gawcott with Lenborough, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Gawcott with Lenborough
Built-Up Area: Gawcott
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Gawcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GAWCOTT WITH LENBOROUGH
SP6731 CHURCH STREET, Gawcott
879-1/7/208 (North side)
13/10/52 Church of Holy Trinity, attached
walls and railing
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of the Holy Trinity)
Church. 1827. Built by incumbent, Rev Thomas Scott at cost of 1526. Restored and altered 1894 by John Oldrid Scott and C20.Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, slate roof to body of church, lead roofs to tower and apse.
PLAN: polygonal apse, wide aisleless nave and small west tower.
EXTERIOR: Classical style. Apse is lower than nave and has blank east wall, windows to canted sides and quoins to angles.
Windows have round-arched heads, plain raised ashlar surrounds
with key blocks, narrow projecting sills and small leaded
panes. 3-bay nave has similar windows and rusticated quoins.
West end has 6-paned, double-leaf doors either side of tower
with plain raised stone surrounds and low pediments on console
brackets. Above doors are windows similar to rest, but
shorter. Front is surmounted by half pediments, which flank
Tower has 3 stages and west window similar to those of nave
and on same scale. Middle stage has blank circles to north,
south, and west sides with plain raised stone surrounds, and
short top stage with clock face to west side. Tower has
rusticated quoins, hollow-chamfered string courses, moulded
cornice and plain stone-coped ashlar parapet with piers to
angles bearing ball finials. Church has chamfered plinth which
is of ashlar to west end and tower, hollow-chamfered cornice
and pediment gables, and plain stone-coped parapets.
INTERIOR: chancel arch has elliptical-arched head with key
block and imposts. Nave and apse have flat plaster ceilings
with later applied thin timber ribs. Nave ceiling has 4
circular ventilators with ornamental vents, probably of
cast-iron. Original communion rail, shifted forward from
entrance to apse, has symmetrical turned balusters. Early C19
hexagonal pulpit with panel mouldings to sides. Original
seating in 2 blocks with panelled woodwork. Late C18/early C19
chamber organ with added pedal board. Pair of tall, round
arch-headed boards, moved from east to west wall, framing
Lord's Prayer and Creed to one, Ten Commandments to other.MONUMENTS: wall monument of white marble on slate ground to parish benefactor John West d.1814 who paid for previous
chapel; erected by his trustees and signed Harrison
Buckingham. Veined marble wall monument on slate ground,
signed Harrison, in memory of Reverend Thomas Scott 1780-1835
as inscription records '(son of the late Thomas Scott Rector
of Aston Sandford) and first incumbent of this chapelry'.
Inscription goes on to record 27 years of service and building
of present church 'on the site of the former Chapel which had
fallen to decay, by assistance of friends tho not without
considerable personal expense'. He was father of architect Sir
G Gilbert Scott (born in Gawcott) and subsequently appointed
rector of Wappenham, Northants.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached walls are approximately 1m high
and curve forward from west angles of nave to frame shallow forecourt. Punctuated by gateways to north and south sides of churchyard with C20 iron gates. Wall to south returns to enclose south side of churchyard. This continuation is of coursed limestone rubble with brick coping. A length of iron railing with acorn finials to standards joins wall to apse at east end of churchyard.Present building replaces a chapel built 1806 at the expense of John West. Top stage of tower was lowered in 1967 eliminating a bell-chamber window.
Listing NGR: SP6799431829
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings