History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courtenay Terrace courtenay Towers and South East Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8247 / 50°49'28"N

Longitude: -0.1737 / 0°10'25"W

OS Eastings: 528725

OS Northings: 104385

OS Grid: TQ287043

Mapcode National: GBR JP2.BWJ

Mapcode Global: FRA B6JX.G4S

Entry Name: Courtenay Terrace courtenay Towers and South East Wall

Listing Date: 10 September 1971

Last Amended: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205884

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365561

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Central Hove

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hove All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2804SE KINGSWAY
579-1/21/75 (South side)
10/09/71 Courtenay Terrace: Courtenay Towers
and SE wall
(Formerly Listed as:
KINGSWAY
Courtenay Side. Courtenay Towers)

GV II

Part of villa, now part of terrace. Mid C19 villa, divided
1933, parapet to tower rebuilt as crenellations C20.
Stucco over brick, pilaster quoins to tower, roof concealed
behind parapet, roughcast stacks.
Plan: double-fronted. 3 storeys with 4-storey entrance tower,
1:1:1 bays, central entrance tower projecting forward;
crenellated tower with cavetto moulded cornice and ornamental
frieze, modillion cornice to second floor continued into left
hand bay, right with bottle balustraded parapet, all sash
windows with one vertical glazing bar in moulded surrounds
with keystones and rounded corners to top, except for ground
floor which has bracketed frieze and rusticated keystones to
segmental-headed openings now filled with C20 casements left
and obliterated by large C20 window right, paired Ionic
pilasters to arch-head opening of recessed porch, closed by
double hung cast-iron gates, panelled double doors with
ornamental grill, fanlight above, approached by shallow flight
of steps.
Low rendered walls of square piers with recessed panels linked
by walls with segmental recesses - an unusual, slightly art
deco design, presumably dating from 1933. Garden wall to rear
of coursed pebbles with cement hump-backed coping. The
detailing is similar to that of Courtenayside (qv) abutting to
west.
This was originally the main part of Hove Lea, a villa shown
on the 1875 OS map.


Listing NGR: TQ2872504385

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.