This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1887 / 52°11'19"N
Longitude: -1.7093 / 1°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 419972
OS Northings: 254536
OS Grid: SP199545
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.LPS
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B77Z
Entry Name: Old Town Place
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366322
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1954NE OLD TOWN
604-1/9/146 (South West side)
25/10/51 Nos.4 AND 5
Old Town Place (5)
(Formerly Listed as:
(South West side)
Nos.4 AND 5
William and Mary Hotel)
Two houses. c1690 (though Bearman suggests 1760). Brick with
ashlar and stucco dressings; hipped tile roof with rear brick
2 storeys with attic; symmetrical 5-window range with narrow
centre breaking forward. Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
Top dentilled cornice. Round-headed entrance has
fielded-panelled pilaster trips, unusual brackets to cornice,
and archivolt with key; fanlight with thick glazing bars over
6-fielded-panel door; lantern above. Windows have sills with
painted brick aprons, and rubbed brick flat arches with keys
over 12-pane sashes, horned to 1st floor; 3 pedimented
dormers, the centre one with C20 pediment replacing segmental
pediment, and 2-light small-paned casements. Left return has
projection under hipped roof; 2-storey rear wing.
INTERIOR noted as having open-well staircase with slender
turned balusters. Single-storey, 2-window, wing with attic to
right (No.4) has top cornice; entrance in brick forward break
has rubbed brick flat arch over 4-flush-panel door. Windows
have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over 4:12:4-pane
tripartite sash to left, 12-pane sash to right; 2 hipped
dormers with 2-light C20 small-paned casements. Timber-framed
gable and entrance to rear. Until 1855 the Town Offices; an
hotel for much of the C20.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 46; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of
Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 137-8).
Listing NGR: SP1997254536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings