This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1881 / 52°11'17"N
Longitude: -1.708 / 1°42'28"W
OS Eastings: 420057
OS Northings: 254472
OS Grid: SP200544
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.T57
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B8WF
Entry Name: Dower House and Avon Croft and Attached Garden Wall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366335
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054 OLD TOWN
604-1/6/158 (North East side)
25/10/51 Dower House and Avon Croft and
attached garden wall
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Dower House and Avon Croft)
House, divided into two c1740, and attached wall. C16 origins
with later alterations and additions including C17 north wing:
Avon Croft. Timber-frame with roughcast cladding; tile roofs
with brick stacks. Hall and cross-wing forming L-plan with
parallel rear wing attached to cross-wing.
2 storeys; 6-window range to street; left half is Avon Croft.
Brick platt band and top cornice. Entrance to Avon Croft has
architrave, frieze and cornice, overlight to C20 panelled
door; flanking windows with sills and 12-pane sashes in
architraves, 3 similar windows above.
Entrance to Dower House has plain doorcase, frieze and cornice
to 6-fielded-panel door, side windows with 8-pane sashes; 3
other ground-floor windows have 12-pane sashes with
architraves; 1st floor has 3 flat-roofed half-dormers with
12-pane horned sash and two 16-pane sashes. 2 cross-axial
stacks and stack to rear of ridge. Angle to right has attached
2-storey C18 block with gabled roof and round-headed entrance
to right return with shell hood; window with 12-pane thick-bar
sash over. Right return to Southern Lane has 2-storey gabled
projection between gables, some sashed windows; stone
cross-axial stack with
4 clustered but separate diagonal brick stacks.
Rear has small 2-storey gabled wing with return lean-to to
left of larger range with close-studding to return and 2
gables to front; some sashed windows and stone cross-axial
stack with 3 truncated diagonal brick shafts; single-storey
wing under hipped roof to right end.
Rear of Avon Croft has some square framing; gabled stair wing
with return window with 9/6-pane thick-bar sash, similar
12-pane sash to right, to left of gabled porch; mostly
small-paned casements; small courtyard has gables to sides.
INTERIOR: Dower House recorded as rich in original features;
front range has 1st floor open to roof with has
smoke-blackened rafters suggesting original open hall; return
wing has ground-floor room with stone fireplace and late C16
panelling with fluted frieze and 3-panel overmantel, another
has C18 panelling and late C18 fireplace; dogleg staircase has
simply turned balusters and moulded handrail, panelled newels
with enriched pyramidal finials, possibly installed by
Shakespeare in New Place and removed by Sir John Clopton on
its demolition in 1702; 1st floor room has stone fireplace and
late C16 panelling. Avon Croft has dogleg staircase with
slender balusters and square newels; some dado panelling and
2- and 6-fielded-panel early C18 doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: early C19 garden wall attached to angle
of house, with round-arched gateway with studded door, and
running approx 40m along Southern Lane; brick with
round-angled pilaster strips and modillioned cornice to offset
coping, recessed gatepiers and C20 gate toward right end.
The house was possibly the manor house for Stratford, and was
owned by the Clopton family until 1738, probably serving as
the dower house.
(VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon
and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 16; Bearman R:
Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings:
Nelson: 1988-: 44; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of
Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 141-2; Jaggard G:
Companion to Stratford: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1964-: 55, 59).
Listing NGR: SP2005754472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings