This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4915 / 51°29'29"N
Longitude: -2.6793 / 2°40'45"W
OS Eastings: 352934
OS Northings: 177170
OS Grid: ST529771
Mapcode National: GBR JM.K6RF
Mapcode Global: VH88D.HRXZ
Entry Name: The Wylands, British Telecom Training Centre
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379960
Location: Bristol, BS11
Electoral Ward/Division: Avonmouth and Lawrence Weston
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Shirehampton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST57NW LOWER HIGH STREET, Shirehampton
901-1/52/1750 (West side)
04/03/77 The Wylands, British Telecom
(Formerly Listed as:
LOWER HIGH STREET
Post Office Regional School,
south-west District (The Wylands))
House, now training centre. 1905. By F Bligh Bond. Brick with
limestone dressings, brick ridge stacks and Cornish slate
hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Edwardian Baroque style. 2
storeys and attic; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has quoins and a projecting centre, with a
swan's-neck segmental pediment on scrolled corbels and an
oculus under a swagged panel, and a 2-storey fully-glazed
oriel stair light; windows have rubbed brick flat-arches with
grotesque keys to 12/12-pane sashes, with ground-floor plat
band and shutters; deep, sprocketed eaves have brackets and
swagged, scrolled corner brackets, 5 dormers have alternate
triangular and segmental pediments and casement windows, and
an open square cupola.
The right-hand elevation has a projecting single-storey
parapeted porch: Ionic columns with barleysugar fluting to a
bracketed segmental canopy, coffered underneath, and a
semicircular-arched doorway with a timber fanlight and 6-panel
door; a semicircular-arched 2-light arcade to the left side.
To the right is a symmetrical elevation with a pedimented
centre stepped forward, a 12/12-pane ground-floor sash window
flanked by oculi, and a semicircular-arched central
INTERIOR: central hall with arched openings and oval ceiling
panel, and a dogleg stair with square, moulded balusters and
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 400).
Listing NGR: ST5293477170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings