History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, Sheep Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1914 / 52°11'28"N

Longitude: -1.7064 / 1°42'23"W

OS Eastings: 420166

OS Northings: 254834

OS Grid: SP201548

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.MD2

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C5RX

Entry Name: 4, Sheep Street

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366391

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW SHEEP STREET
604-1/10/208 (South side)
09/02/72 No.4
(Formerly Listed as:
SHEEP STREET
No.4
Shakespeare Press)

GV II

Town house, now shop. Tie beam with black letter: BUILT c1490,
probably C16; barge-boards with: RESTORED 1910: BY WILLIAM
JAGGARD. Timber-frame front with plaster infill and some
brick; much remaining internal timber-frame; fishscale tile
roof with brick rear stack.
2 storeys; single-window range. Small brick section with top
modillioned brick cornice and larger timber-framed projection
to left. Entrance to right has small-pane half-glazed door.
Ground floor has large 5-light transomed window with upper
leaded glazing and grille below; 1st floor has late C20
three-light window with 2 transoms replacing sash, and small
leaded window to gablet.
INTERIOR: chamfered beams; 1st floor has roof trusses with
close-studded infill; rear has 2 altered roof trusses to rear
wing, now enclosed in larger wing, on wall posts.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a plaque, now removed, stated that a press
was founded here 1591, and that the 1st edition of
Shakespeare's works was published here 1623. William Jaggard,
the bibliographer of Shakespeare and said to be the descendant
of the publisher of the 1st folio, lived here late C19 onwards
and set up the Shakespeare Press.
(VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon
and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 13; Forrest H E:
The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 84).


Listing NGR: SP2016654834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.