This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1914 / 52°11'29"N
Longitude: -1.707 / 1°42'25"W
OS Eastings: 420127
OS Northings: 254838
OS Grid: SP201548
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.F8R
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C5GW
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366184
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/40 (South East side)
25/10/51 Town Hall
Town hall. 1767 with infill to arches of 1863 and later
additions. By Robert Newman of Whittington, builder and mason.
Cotswold stone; hipped slate roof. Palladian style.
2 storeys; symmetrical 5-bay range. 3-bay centre breaks
forward under pediment. Platt band over ground floor; 1st
floor sill band and top modillioned cornice. Ground floor has
blocked round arches with segmental-headed windows with
24-pane horned sashes; 1st floor has windows with friezes and
cornices over 24-pane horned sashes, that to centre has eared
and shouldered architrave, pulvinated frieze and
segmental-headed pediment. Below sill band is remains of
painted words: GOD SAVE THE KING. Top pediment has relief of
borough arms with husk drops and date: 1767.
Sheep Street elevation of 3 bays has similar details;
ground-floor windows with 8/12-pane sashes; 1st-floor niche
has consoled open pediment over lead statue of Shakespeare,
1769, by John Cheere, a copy of the 1740 statue by Scheemakers
on the Westminster Abbey memorial, the panel below recording
details; panel below sill band records the Silver Jubilee of
Rear wing has porch with round-arched opening and sashed
window in round-headed recess to left; balustraded balcony
above and recessed arched porch.
INTERIOR: ground-floor room with rich C19 coffered ceiling,
panelled pilasters to end flanking inscribed panels inscribed
with names of bailiffs etc; rear room, former kitchen, has
high ceiling and high 4- and 2-light ovolo-mullioned windows,
large fireplace with moulded arch with herringbone brickwork;
staircase probably rebuilt in C20; 1st-floor Tuscan ballroom
with cornice and stucco panelling with Rococo relief work and
candle sconces renewed after fire in 1946, two C19 fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was opened by David Garrick in
1769 on the occasion of the Shakespeare Jubilee, when he
presented the statue of Shakespeare. From 1843 it was used for
Corporation meetings and is now used by Stratford Town
Council. A dignified building in an important position.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-:
415; Pevsner N: The Cathedrals of England: Southern England:
Harmondsworth: 1985-: 191).
Listing NGR: SP2012754838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings