This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7124 / 51°42'44"N
Longitude: -1.9754 / 1°58'31"W
OS Eastings: 401795
OS Northings: 201520
OS Grid: SP017015
Mapcode National: GBR 2PL.RC1
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.Q713
Entry Name: Querns House at Cirencester Hospital
Listing Date: 14 June 1948
Last Amended: 24 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365437
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP0101 TETBURY ROAD
578-1/5/299 (South East side)
14/06/48 Querns House at Cirencester Hospital
(Formerly Listed as:
The Querns (house))
House, now part of Cirencester Hospital. Dated 1825, later C19
additions in similar style; C19 and C20 internal alterations.
By PF Robinson for Charles Lawrence. Coursed squared
limestone; artificial stone slate roofs with coped verges,
corbelled-out kneelers at gables; stone ridge and end stacks
to front range now truncated, 5 groups of octagonal ashlar
flues in pairs and threes on ridges, at ends and laterally to
Tudor style; irregular plan and fenestration. Entrance front
has 2 gables; 2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. First floor
has five 2- and 3-light double-chamfered stone mullion
windows, 2 to centre and left with hoodmoulds, similar
single-light window to right and 2-light window to centre have
diamond-pane cast-iron casements, one small C20 window to
centre. Similar single-light window with hoodmould with
diamond-pane casement in gable to centre.
Ground floor as 3 single-light windows with double-chamfered
stone transoms with hoodmoulds to right and flanking porch,
two 3- and one 5-light double-chamfered stone-mullion windows,
to centre and left with hoodmoulds and largely retaining
diamond-pane casements. Gabled porch to centre right has
boarded door with 4-centred arched head divided into vertical
panels by applied moulding with decorative strap hinges in
chamfered stone surround with hoodmould with carved stops.
Datestone in gable of porch has date in relief 1825. One
raking dormer with 2-light diamond casement. Shallow chamfered
plinth, weathered band course below ground floor window to
gabled bay to centre.
Single-storey range attached to left, gable facing, has
truncated external stack on facing gable end. Garden front,
formerly principal elevation, has 1825 range to left with
later wing set back to right.
1825 range has one gable breaking forward to centre, 3
gablets. 2-storey, 4-window range. First floor has 4-light
canted oriel with moulded base and embattled parapet to
centre, two 3-light double chamfered stone mullion windows
with hoodmoulds, 2-storey bay to left has 3-light window to
front, single-light windows to sides, to first floor. Ground
floor has 5-light double-chamfered stone mullion-and-transom
window with hoodmould to centre, flanked by 2 single-storey
canted bays with parapets with 3-light double-chamfered stone
mullion and transom windows to centre, single-light windows to
sides, bay to left has similar window to first floor.
Chamfered plinth; weathered cill band to ground floor of
gabled portion to centre; chamfered slit windows in gablets;
shield and motto in recessed panel with hoodmould in gable to
centre, coping to gable has trefoil stop and base of former
finial at apex.
Later wing to right in similar but plainer style has scattered
fenestration of chamfered and double-chamfered 2- and 3-light
stone mullion windows, some with hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR much altered for hospital use; former entrance hall
has pair of doors from porch, probably late C19, half-glazed
with leaded lights and perpendicular tracery, room to right of
hall has C19 stone chimneypiece to splayed corner of room
formerly with large Tudor-arched opening into hall; similar
opening to rear of hall into corridor; room opposite to rear
has oak panelling and chimneypiece with overmantel, probably
early C20. Hall to left has early C19 moulded architraves to
door openings with panelled reveals with 4-centred arch heads
to panels, room to rear left has late enriched moulded oak
chimneypiece, 9-pane half-glazed door leading to outside.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.183; Welsford J: Cirencester: A
History and Guide: Gloucester: 1987-: PP.122-3).
Listing NGR: SP0179501520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings