This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.715 / 51°42'54"N
Longitude: -1.9715 / 1°58'17"W
OS Eastings: 402066
OS Northings: 201811
OS Grid: SP020018
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.DD9
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.S533
Plus Code: 9C3WP28H+2C
Entry Name: Apsley Hall
Listing Date: 27 April 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365425
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHEEP STREET (West side)
Former Independent/Congregational Chapel, now mental health resource centre. 1833 with alterations of 1888 and C20.
Limestone ashlar to front, coursed squared limestone to sides. Welsh slate roof, gable facing; one reconstituted stone stack on right slope. Front is two storeys and half-basement; three-window range. First floor has two 6/6-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves with pulvinated frieze and cornice, stone cill on brackets; to centre 3/3-pane horned sash in similar architrave, shortened because of position over porch. Ground floor has two 6/6-pane sashes similar to first floor in similar architraves; to centre Doric porch with pair of columns to each side raised on high plinth; ten steps up to pair of doors of three panels each. Deep plinth has to each side of porch pair of 2/2-pane sashes with horns with timber mullion in plain reveal with stone cill lighting basement. Band course over ground floor. Broad flat pilasters to each side; moulded stone cornice with broad shallow pediment to centre; blocking course. Frieze has incised lettering TO THE MEMORY OF OUR GLORIOUS DEAD 1914-1919; incised lettering on frieze of porch THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Tablets on pilasters to each side with incised Roll of Honour have moulded stone architrave and are supported on simple brackets. Metal plate over doors within porch inscribed THIS HALL WAS GIVEN BY EARL BATHURST AND/ WAS ALTERED TO ITS PRESENT PURPOSE BY/ SUBSCRIPTION FROM THE EARL AND COUNTESS AND THE INHABITANTS OF THE TOWN AND DISTRICT/ AS A THANK OFFERING FOR THE VICTORY WON/ AND FOR PEACE.
Side elevations have C19 and C20 sashes. Two small C19 single-storey extensions and C20 lift tower in reconstituted stone to rear and right side. Curved ramp to right side gives access to ground floor from pavement.
INTERIOR inspected on ground floor only; presents entirely C20 appearance and said to be similar on other floors.
Chapel built 1833 on land leased from Lord Bathurst; converted into public hall, known as Apsley Hall, by Lord Bathurst in 1888; war memorial added to front c1919; given by Lord Bathurst to the Memorial Hospital in 1921; became Cirencester Memorial Centre, a mental health resource centre, 1990.
Listing NGR: SP0206601811
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings