History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Villa Borghese and Fuchsia Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellswood, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4617 / 50°27'41"N

Longitude: -3.5132 / 3°30'47"W

OS Eastings: 292692

OS Northings: 63519

OS Grid: SX926635

Mapcode National: GBR QX.38ZK

Mapcode Global: FRA 37JT.WPL

Entry Name: Villa Borghese and Fuchsia Cottage

Listing Date: 10 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390768

Location: Torbay, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/02/2017


SX9263
885-1/18/221

TORQUAY
RIDGEWAY ROAD (North West side)
Villa Borghese and Fuchsia Cottage

(Formerly listed as Park House)

10/01/75

GV
II

Shown on OS maps Villa Borghese.

Large villa including garden walls and gate piers. c1850. Later C19 alterations, divided into 7 flats in 1909.

Plastered; hipped slate roof; stacks with rendered shafts with cornices. Local grey limestone rubble garden walls, plastered gate piers. Italianate, said to have been based on the design of a particular villa.

PLAN: Double-depth rectangular plan to main block, entrance on south side, service block to east.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window entrance front plus (later) 3-window canted bay to right. Deep eaves and verges on paired moulded brackets; stuccoed quoins, platband. Original entrance front broken forward in the centre and gabled, with a deep projecting cornice at first-floor level. Doric distyle in antis porch, altered with a round-headed arch cut through the entablature. Half-glazed front door with glazed side panels. First-floor window above with proud architrave, sill blocks and segmental pediment on consoles. Left and right triple windows with similar architraves and floating cornices on brackets. Windows glazed with C20 plate glass sashes, ground-floor left partly converted to doorway. Later C19 projecting canted bay to right, one ground floor window converted to doorway. Service wing to far right retains tripartite sashes.
Left (garden) return has 3 ground-floor 6 over 9-pane sashes (one converted to door) and 3 first-floor recessed round-headed windows with sunk panels below the sills, and moulded architraves and radial glazing bars. Round-headed niches between the windows, all openings linked by moulded cornices.

INTERIOR: Not inspected but said to be very altered with lower part of staircase removed during conversion.

HISTORY: Originally called Villa Borghese (as shown on O.S. map).
(OS: CXV1.10: 1st ed.: 1866).


Listing NGR: SX9269263519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.